Some Kind Of Complex

Emma sits confidently next to Evans at the front desk, chest puffed out and arms crossed. The self-assured smirk on her face makes it difficult for Evans not to roll his eyes, groan, and sigh, but he manages. 

"You're looking as brash as he seemed." Evans teases. 

"I'm not brash," She claims without even glancing at him, her eyes glued to the doors. "I'm just proud."

Evans snickers a little, causing her to briefly look over at him through the corner of her eyes, then return to staring ahead at the doors. 

"I don't think I could handle him, much less two of him. Please spare me." He mutters, and Emma rolls her eyes with a grin stuck on her face.

Moments after their exchange, the source of Evans' dread and Emma's anticipation pushes through the clean glass doors of the library. Emma beams and Evans drops his head to the desk as the discord swaggers towards the main desk and finally rests both palms down on it. 

"I see your wait has been full of suspense! You look more than glad to see me, young lady. You must be the one in charge!" His voice ripples with arrogance and he smirks, raising a hand up to his chin.

Evans squeezes his eyes shut and muffles a groan. 

"It has been!" Emma jumps up with excitement and though she isn't quite as loud, the two of them speaking are enough to turn heads and draw irritated eyes. "I am the one in charge! Nice to meet you sir! You must be the one who wants a job!"

The angel uses one hand to flip some of his long golden hair as dramatically as possible and rests his hand in his hair. 

"Yes, it is so lovely to meet you in person! Now, when can I start?"

Evans, at this point, sighs and sits upright, completely avoiding even looking at the guy. He already knows she's going to give him the job.

Emma smiles and clasps her hands together. "Tomorrow! And I'll make you work with Evans until you can figure out how to be quieter!"

Evans drops his head to the desk once again.

The angel's eyes drift to the demon and his cocky grin twists to a frown in disgust. He refuses to comment on something like that, so he turns back to Emma.

"With all due respect, I trust your decision completely and even though I've only been talking to you for a few minutes, I can tell you're a genius and you mean the best..." Evans rolls his eyes at the angel's sweet talk and empty compliments while Emma looks up for a second with eyebrows raised at the thought of being considered a genius. "...But I can't possibly be around this..this indolent loaf."

Evans saw it coming from the moment he stepped in the library, but Emma came back down from her thoughts with resent pulling down on her eyebrows and buried in her eyes. She was silent for a moment, but she let her glare speak for itself. 

The angel, who at first stuck his chin out and looked away, suddenly turned back with a dejected look written all over his expression. "W-wait I didn't mean that I-"

It was her turn to stick out her chin and look away. She crossed her arms as well, and Evans finally sat up again just to glance between the two of them in rare form.

They're like toddlers.

Evans sighed.

"You can't work here then!"

"I-I take it back!" The angel frantically turned to Evans, who just raised an eyebrow. "I didn't mean that! I think having the audacity to sleep on the job next to your boss is pretty adventurous in itself! I have the utmost respect for you!" 

Evans sat silently, puzzled by what that even meant. 

Was that even a compliment?

Evans sighed and looked over at Emma, who was still folding her arms. "He apologized. You don't have to be like that, you know."

Her glare reached Evans, and then she turned back to the angel with a "Hmph!"

The was silence for a few seconds, then, without looking anymore relaxed, she caves. 

"Tell me your name."

"..Rhys." He replies anxiously.

She finally drops her arms to her sides. "Your shift starts tomorrow. Stay later so we can do the paperwork after that."

A smile spreads on his face, but then he fakes a cough and somehow his arrogant attitude returns.  

"I appreciate your offer, boss. I'll be off."

He receives a glare in response, and as he walks away, he seems a little less confident before. Eyes of the irked inhabitants of the library followed him to the door. 

"I kind of feel bad for the guy. His personality is awful." Evans says bluntly as he's leaving.

Emma is silent for a moment in thought. She turns to Evans and her displeasure is already gone. "He'd be alright if he wasn't the kind of person who is loud in a library."

Evans looked up thoughtfully, then around at the people who were sitting in the library with angry faces. 

"Yeah, you're right."