"I'm sorry". It was a mouthed sentence. No words but clear enough that Tanya and Kate could see it.

Caius looked towards the guards. Instantly, two grabbed Irina by the arms. There was a sharp crack as he head was ripped off and dropped to the snow at her feet. Caius stepped forwards, holding a lighted torch. He touched the tip to her body and handed it back to one of the guards. All the Volturi stepped away as Irina burned.

"Irina!" Tanya and Kate surged forwards with frantic cries. Emmet was the nearest and he caught Tanya round the waist, holding her back. Kate shocked the first to grab her and they fell to the ground. Garret threw himself forwards and wrapped his arms around her chest, shuddering as she continuously shocked him.

"Blind them!" Edward instructed. Zafrina nodded and instantly Tanya and Kate went limp. Their sight blinded by Zafrina's illusions. Bella sighed and lifted Nessie up to place her on Jacobs back. A precautions if things still went sour.

"Bring my sight back!" Tanya demanded. Edward speeded over time her and leant down close, voice quiet but firm.

"Tanya listen to me. If you attack now we all die". Tanya made a choked sobbing noise and relaxed. Zafrina turned her head, allowing their sight back. Kate fell into Garret's embrace, burying her head in his shoulder.

Seeing that his ploy had failed, Caius turned to Jane. She smirked. "Pain".

Edward fell to his knees, instinctively curling up. Ellis shifted slightly in panic, snow crunching as he fought the urge to run back to the Cullen lines. He didn't notice Aro's eyes flickering towards the ground.

Ellis went still again as Edward stood up. Bella's shield obviously working. Behind him, Jane huffed in frustration. She looked around, face contorting in increasing frustration as her gift failed to work. Bella, knowing the temper of Jane, smirked. Jane growled and stepped forwards but was held back by her twin, Alec. Alec extended his hands and black smoke surged around him. But Aro raised and hand and he reluctantly stopped.

"Aro, you see there's no law broken here", Carlisle spoke up.

Aro raised his hands in a placating gesture. He stepped forwards. "Ah. Maybe. But Carlisle, my friend. I'm hurt you have not introduced me to the new member of your family". 

All the Cullen's faces creased in confusion. "You have met my daughter", Edward muttered, hand linking with Bella's.

"I was talking about young Ellis", Aro smiled. Seth released a growl at the mention of Ellis' name. "According to your lovely minds, he is somewhere here. He has quite the unique and powerful gift, does he not? So where is he?"

Next to Carlisle, Esme made a small noise. She glanced back at Seth nervously. Seth shook his head. Ellis was not with him. "Ellis?" She called anxiously.

"If he would come forwards", Aro's smile turned flinty and malicious. "I'm sure he's here somewhere".

Ellis steeled himself as he stepped across the snow. The whole time since he had left Seth's side he had been hanging halfway between the Cullen lines and the Volturi. Now he crossed closer to the cloaked figures. Behind him, Seth growled.

"I am here Aro", Ellis' voice rung out over the field. Aro's eyes darted around, trying to pin point the source.

"Jane, can you feel him?" He asked, a eager grin filling his face.

Jane gritted her teeth in anger. "No. I can't see or feel him anywhere. Where is he?"

"Amazing. Please reveal yourself Ellis". The way Aro said his name made Ellis want to shudder in disgust. He stepped forwards so that he was just out of Aro's reach and allowed himself to flicker into sight. The lack of his shield made him feel naked under the Volturi's gaze. Silence fell, the only noise coming from the deep rumbling growls in Seth's throat. The shifter too far away to offer Ellis and protection. Ellis kept himself still as Aro looked him over. The glint in the older vampire's eyes making him feel itchy.

"Ellis has done nothing", Carlisle's voice broke the hush. "My wife and I adopted him a over six months ago. He has no part in this".

"I merely want to meet your new son Carlisle", Aro replied. "He's quite the enchanting gem. Invisibility. Unable to see, smell or use any mental gifts on him. Truly marvellous". He extended his hand expectantly. Ellis hesitated, Seth's growls growing in volume behind him as he placed his own palm on Aro's. Instantly, Aro gripped it. His touch seeming cold, despite their same temperature. Ellis bit his lip as a sudden pressure descended on his mind. Aro able to view every thought and memory he had ever experienced. All his kisses with Seth; The pain of his turning, Victoria's cruel hands, his blurry human memories. All were now in Aro's head.

After a long moment, Aro let go. Ellis drew back, stepping away and pulling his hands to his chest. "Such a young child", Aro murmured. "A innocent child. You have a lovely son Carlisle. You are lucky he chose to come to you. You are exempt Young one", Aro smiled seemingly gently at him. Ellis' expression did not change. "With your abilities, you will welcome within our ranks. If you get bored of the vegetarian life, we will be there".

"Thank you", The words were dry in Ellis' mouth. "I shall keep your offer in mind. But for now, I am happy with my family". Aro smiled coldly, unamused by the rejection. He waved a hand and Ellis took it as a dismissal. He turned and walked back towards the Cullen lines, fighting the weight of Volturi eyes on his back. He would not run.

Esme sighed in relief as Ellis drew closer. She ran her fingers over his shoulder as he passed. He crossed the snow and pressed himself to Seth's side. Seth giving a pleased rumble now that Ellis was away from Aro. He ran his hands across Seth's fur, fighting the fear pulling at his bones.

"You can see now Aro", Carlisle called. "She is not immortal. We break no laws".

"Ah, but then comes the question of if she poses a threat". He stepped forwards and turned to address the rest of the Volturi. "For the first time in our history. Humans pose a threat to our kind. Their modern technology has given birth to weapons that could destroy us. Maintaining our secret has never been more imperative. In such perilous times. Only the known are safe". Caius began to smile. Next to him, Marcus' sleepy expression changed to a frown. Ellis did not like it.

"Only the known are tolerable. And we know nothing about what this child might become. Can we live with such uncertainty? Spare ourselves a fight today, only to die Tomorrow". The Volturi witnesses began shifting nervously, obviously swayed by Aro's words. Ellis gripped Seth's fur anxiously, the warmth of his mate serving as a calming source.

Something changed. Edward jolted in surprise. "Alice", he breathed as two figure emerged from the trees. Ellis turned as Alice and Jasper marched towards the Volturi. Across the snow, Aro's face was full of glee.

Alice and Jasper passed by. Ignoring the looks of confusion from their friends and family. As the git closer, a few Volturi guards moved forwards to stop them. "My dear dear Alice", Aro crowed. "We're so glad to see you here after all".

"I have evidence the child won't be a risk to our kind", Alice stated. "Let me show you". Aro quirked his head curiously and waved a hand. The guards let Alice go but kept their hold on Jasper. One smacked him across the face and Jasper snarled.

Alice strode forwards towards Aro. She took his hand almost eagerly, clasping it with the same fierceness he held her. Ellis waited with bated breath.

Unedited