Twenty six

Ellis and Seth did not get much further than making out in that sunlit clearing before a pointed cough disrupted them. Seth sighed and pulled away with a disgruntled growl. He sat back onto Ellis' hips and turned to face the tree line where Leah Clearwater was leaning against an oak with her arms crossed.

She was dressed in the same denim shorts that all the males seemed to wear. They hung low on her hips, obviously cut for men. Her breasts were covered in one of those stretchy pull on sports bras. The rest of her was bare and Ellis could see the mud on her toes and streaked up her calf and stomach from puddles and branches.

She smirked at her younger brother teasingly. "Keep it in your pants Seth", she stated as she eyed their messy hair and rumpled clothes. Her grin widened as she spotted Seth's kiss swollen lips. Ellis had been eyeing them himself, but kept his urges in check. All he wanted was to continue kissing Seth for eternity, but it was getting lat. the sun was growing orange and dark clouds were approaching. Dragging his reluctant gaze away, he pushed himself up on to his elbows, Seth still sat on his lap. He faced Leah with a innocent and guilt free expression. Seeming as cherubic and pure as any good catholic choir singer.

Leah snorted, not buying it. Ignoring Ellis, she waved a impatient hand at Seth. "Come on", she called. "Mom is waiting with dinner and I want a bath. You'll see your boyfriend tomorrow".

Seth whined softly, obviously pouting. He glanced between Ellis and his sister before grimacing as his stomach grumbled loudly. Ellis hurriedly hid his giggles behind a hand. Seth gave him a unamused look before begrudgingly standing up from Ellis' lap. Ellis followed his motion, pushing himself upright.

"I'll see you tomorrow yeah?" He said as Seth brushed at the wrinkles in his tshirt. Seth nodded and leaned in to brush a chaste peck on Ellis' lips. The touch had his eyes widening, surprised by the simple and easy affection.

Seth smiled as he pulled away. "See you in the morning", he muttered before following Leah into the woods.

Ellis waited until they had shifted and he could no longer hear the sounds of their paws before wrapping his arms around himself and spinning around with a high pitched squeal.

It was the early hours of the morning. That time when the sun is just rising and the grass is covered by fog and dew, when Ellis made his way up the porch steps towards the front door of the Cullen house. He had spent the beginning of the night lying back in the grass field and replaying the day in his mind. Witness accounts would say that he might have gushed to himself and squeal a bit, but he denies all claims. The rest of the night was spent hunting and he was quite proud of catching himself a bobcat.

Upon entering the house, Ellis made his way straight to the living room where he could feel the others gathered. He was right. The family was perched at various places around the room, surrounding Bella. Edward was at her side, with Rosalie opposite him. Emmet was on the other sofa watching the flickering light of the muted tv. Esme and Carslie were standing next to each other near to the entrance to the kitchen. They were watching their family with open eyes while Alice fussed with a vase of lowered in the corner, Jasper by her side.

Ellis sat himself down on the couch next to Emmet silently. He spared a glance at Bella. The human was looking more and more like a pile of bones. She was sunken and hollow apart from the hugeness of her belly which stuck out from her body grotesquely. The grey tshirt dress which hung of her frame everywhere else, was taught and stretched around her stomach. Her head lulled against Edward's shoulder as she dozed. The styrofoam cup and drinking straw was abandoned on the coffee table. Both were stained red and smelt delicious.

Ellis grimaced at the cup, swallowing nervously. His head raised and his gaze met Edward's. "Another broken rib", Edward muttered. His voice was below human hearing as not disturb Bella.

"Ouch", Ellis stated with a sympathetic wince. "How long until it's born?"

"He", Rosalie corrected sharply. "Bella says he's a he, not an it".

Ellis eyed the shape of Bella's stomach and shrugged. "I think it's going to be a girl", he said, ignoring Rosalie's glare. "Have you decided on names yet?"

"Not yet. Bella wants it to be a mix of names". Edward gazed at his wife lovingly. Ellis shuddered.

"As long as it isn't one of those stupid ship names like Jalice, a merge between Alice and Jasper, or Carsme for Esme and Carslie. Those just sound ridiculous". Emmet and Alice chuckled.

"Trust you to always say something to bring the mood up", Esme smiled softly.

"What? I was being honest. You Americans have the weirdest names. Why can't you just call the kid Ben or Tom like any normal person?"

"But that too repetitive", Alice chirped as she switched as yellow rose with a pastel pink one. "There must be a million people called Tom. This baby is unique and special".

Ellis gave up. "Whatever you name her, I'm going to nickname the hell out of it anyway".

"It's going to be a boy", Rosalie stated firmly.

Ellis rolled his eyes. He fixed her with a 'I don't give a shit face' before grinning cheekily. "Alright Rose, let's bet on it. If it's a a boy, you can request a favour from me. But if it's a girl I can request a favour from you. And the favour can be absolutely anything".

Rosalie eyed him for a moment, weighing her choices. "Go for it babe", Emmet commented. "It's not that bad".

"Alright then. If it's a boy then you are never aloud to play despacito in this house or my hearing range ever again. That includes phones, ringtone, cello and any other musical instrument", Rosalie looked at him challengingly.

Ellis hopped to his feet. "Fine", he countered. "If I win then I'm aloud to give the baby their first nickname and you're not aloud to argue or change it". Rosalie glared at him furiously but shook his hand, sealing the deal.

"Shouldn't I get a vote in this?" Edward asked dryly. "This is my child we're talking about".

"Oh hush Ed, you have rights over the legal name. I just get to pick the nickname". Ellis waved his words away.

"What about Bella?" Carslie asked with an amused tone.

Ellis made a dismissive gesture. "She'll be stuck on the change. Three days is long enough time to make the name stick".

Behind them all, Alice giggled knowingly. Edward sighed in resignation.

Unedited