Thirty eight

Ellis and Seth has been walking through the woods on the Cullen property, taking the opportunity to take a break from the people filling the house, when they heard the howls. Instantly, they both stoped and Seth turned his head in the direction of the noise. "That's Jake", he said quickly. His hands squeezed Ellis' briefly before Seth pulled away.

"Uninvited vampires", Ellis stares as he listened to the forest. There was running feet and thudding paws. Jacob and a few of the new wolves were chasing what sounded like to be two vampires through the trees. Seth jumped forwards. He shifted in midair and there was a ripping sound as his wolf form burst out of his clothes. He snarled, shaking his shaggy head before running towards the noise. Ellis followed, flickering off. The light sound of his footsteps being the only signal to his presence.

They arrived in a small clearing around the same time that the rest of the Cullens did. Two vampires were seated above Jacob and the young wolves on boulders, out of reach of their snapping jaws. They were laughing and whistling at them like dogs.

One of them had short spiky black hair and a broad body. His partner had a thin with frame and hair almost as white as his skin. With the red eyes, he almost looked albino. Both of them were wearing gothic like suits in black with leather jackets on top. They dressed and looked every bit the stereotypical vampire.

Ellis was angered at the patronising display. These two newcomers were treating the wolves like they were show dogs doing tricks. It pissed him off. Jumping up into the rocks without a sound, he crept behind the two vampires. They duo didn't react, unaware that he was there. He kicked them savagely in the back in rapid movements. Bothe vampires were sent tumbling to the forest floor below, landing in front of the wolves. Seth, Jacob and the younger wolves all howled in canine laughter.

"Valdimir, Stefan", Carslie called as the two new vampires go to their feet. "You're a long way from home".

"What are they doing here?" Kate asked icily, watching the two Russians warily.

Stefan and Valdimir dusted themselves off and snarled up at the top of the boulder where Ellis had pushed them off. They examined the air but Ellis had already silently jumped back down to Seth's side. He carded his fingers through his Boyfriend's fur, unseeingly smirking. Once satisfied that there was nothing their, the two Russian vampires turned to face Carslie.

"We heard that the volturi were moving against you", Vladimir said, Russian accent thick. "But that you would not stand alone".

"We didn't do what we were accused of", Carslie stated firmly.

Vladimir rolled his eyes. "We don't care what you did or didn't do Carslie".

"We have been waiting a millennium for the Italian scum to be challenged", Stefan spoke with a excited smirk.

"It is not our plan to fight the Volturi".

"Shame", Valdimir commented, all playfulness from his face fading. "Aro's witnesses will be so disappointed. They love a good fight". The two Russians shared a dark chuckle.

"Aro's witnesses?" Eleazar echoed. He stepped forwards, something in his tone giving an uneasy feeling.

They all moved to the house. It was clear that the conversation should include everyone. All of them assembled in the living room. Both Seth and Jacob has shifted back. Seth sat on a sofa with Jacob, Bella and Nessie, Ellis tucked invisibly on his lap. Around the room, the witnesses were all gathered in groups. Most of them were in their covens, with the nomads dotted between them by themselves. Eleazar stood at the head of the room, as better to address his audience.

"When Aro wants someone in his coven, it is never long before evidence turns up proving that coven committed some crime".

"So he's down this before?" Bella asked.

"It happens so rarely that I never before saw the pattern".

"Apparently he always leaves a survivor whose thoughts he claims are repentant", Carslie added.

"This person always has a gift", Eleazar stated. "And their always given some place in the guard".
Ellis felt Seth's arms tighten around his waist at the mention of a gift. He had told Seth what Eleazar had told him, that his gift was extremely powerful. This mention of gift users had anxiety clawing at both their guts.

"This is about Alice", Edward stared. "There's no one like her".

"That must be why she left", Bella muttered.

"Why does he need witnesses?" Emmet asked.

"To spread the word that justice has been served", a blonde man, a nomad called Alister voiced. "After he slaughters an entire coven".

Amun rose from his place agains the wall and walked briskly over to Benjamin on the other side of the room. "Benjamin, Tia, we're leaving".

"And where will you go?" Edward asked. "What makes you think they'll be satisfied with Alice? What makes you think that will stop them from going after Benjamin next? Or Zafrina, Kate, or anyone with a gift? Their goal isn't punishment. It's power, acquisition. Carslie may not ask you to fight but I will. For the sake of my family but also for yours". He looked around the room challengingly. "And the way you want to live".

There was a moment of silence around the room as everyone took in Edwards words and the threat that they voiced. Jacobs feed thumped against the floor loudly as he rose. Ellis and Seth doing the same behind him. "The packs will fight", he stated. "We've never been afraid of vampires". He and Seth shared a nod as Ellis became visible at Seth's side. A few vampires that were unused to his frequent disappearing and reappearing jumped. Vladimir and Stefan eyes him with annoyance for the dirt on their clothes.

"We will fight", Tanya said as she and the rest of the Denali coven stepped forwards.

"This won't be the first time I fought a kings rule", Garret commented with a smirk.

Benjamin stepped forwards. "We'll join you". Ellis smiled at him. Grateful for his support.

"No!" Amun barked at him. Benjamin and Tia looked at him challengingly. 

"I will do the right thing Amun. You may do as you please".

"We will stand with you", Zafrina joined.

"So will we", Siobhan added as the Irish coven stood up. Across the room, Peter and Charlotte both nodded and stepped forwards, adding their support.  Slowly, more and more vampires stepped forwards but some were still wary. They didn't leave the room though. Showing that even if they would not fight with them, they will still be witnesses towards their cause.

"Let's not hope it comes to that", Edward muttered.

Unedited