Chapter 24: Shit Out of Luck

She avoids going to the dorm, once more in this life. As she sits in the library, she pretends to look at a book on Germany, but really her mind is scattered over a possible baby and on Daryl an everything that isn't going right in her life.

"Hey stranger!" She jumps, startled at Gareth, who slides into the seat next to her.

"Oh, hi Gareth...whats up?"

"Nothing, just hanging out. Did you do good on your finals?"

"I...I don't think so. I really haven't been focusing lately."

"Why are you looking at a German book?"

"I uh...I honestly don't know. I'm just trying to stay here so I figured I'd look at something." He gives her a sideways look.

"Why don't you just sit at yer dorm?"

"I'm trying to avoid people in it."

"Why?"

"Huh, it's a long story."

"You wanna go get some coffee and talk about it?" She thinks about this. Really she shouldn't, but it's better than sitting in a shitty library for a whole day.

"Sure..." They leave and head ver to the Starbucks on campus. He gets them discounted coffee on his card and come back to Beth at a seat in the dark corner.

"Okay...so what's going on?"

"Well...my boyfriend and I...."

"Boyfriend? I didn't know you have a boyfriend." He takes a sip of his coffee and Beth just stares at him.

"Yeah, Daryl."

"Wait, Daryl Dixon?"

"Ye...yeah..."

"Oh this is too good. Yer dating Mr. Asshole. Makes perfect sense why yer trying to avoid him." Beth shakes her head and Gareth glowers at the table.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"He's not a nice guy, Beth. He doesn't keep girlfriends. Usually a few months, gets em what they wanna hear, beds em and then hits the road. So, no offense, but I can see yer shot getting packed up now." He takes another sip and Beth just can't understand this. "He makes you believe he loves you. Does it very sneakily, and then after you sleep with him, he just kicks ya to the curb."

"Gareth, you don't know him like I do."

"Yes I do. He stole my girlfriend from me,cause he needed her for his band. Acted like an asshole and then she started falling for him. He wrote her a nice song and then she slept with him. It didn't take him long after that to kick her out of his band and start over. Bow Amy's living in Atlanta cause she can't stand being around campus....I'm telling ya Beth, he's a fucking asshole and you really need to stay away from him." She can't breathe or even think straight. Her heart hurts cause what he described with Amy, already happened to her... Besides getting kicked to the curb. "So why are you avoiding him?"

"We had sex last night...but he didn't have a condom and didn't pull out. This morning I found out I missed my pill yesterday so the chances of me becoming pregnant are pretty damn high." She finally takes a sip of her coffee and mellows out into her seat.

"That's terrible. When will you know if you are or not pregnant?"

"I don't know. It takes a few days for that to happen. I hope my birth control will help out, but I fear it won't."

"Well, I'm sorry this happened to you. He's a snake in the grass...if you need a place to stay, an apartment in my building opened up recently. rents really cheap."

"Thank you...I'll jus..."

"Don't wait it out Beth. The longer you wait for him to dump you, the harder it's gonna hurt when you fall. Honestly, if I were you, I'd just end it already. Maybe if you do it, he won't ever take advantage of another woman." He's so persuading and charming. Like a snake charmer from India. She forgets everything she's felt prior to him talking and now just feels justly in any actions.

They separate and she heads back to her dorm. Heading in, she finds Daryl on the bed, reading a book on infrastructure.

"Hey baby...how was yer finals?" She sets her stuff down, only to grab a box and start putting things in it. "Beth? What are you doing?"

"Yer not gonna hurt me, like the others. I might be pregnant, but I'm not gonna sit here and wait for the inevitable end of the cycle." She grabs a lot of her things before leaving the room. Daryl sits up in shock and confusion and follows her out to the elevator.

"What the fuck are you talking about?"

"I'm not being another piece in her game. I'm taking my shit and leaving. And what ever happens...well I'll be better off being a single mother than having to deal with the pain you cause me." The doors close and Daryl races down the stairs and meets he in the lobby.

"Beth, hold on." He jumps in front of her, but she moves around her. "Yer pregnant?"

"I don't know yet, but I'm not sticking around here to find out."

"Beth, just come back upstairs and let's talk about this."

"No!" He freezes in place at her scream. "I'm not getting hurt over any of this. I'm out of the band...I have to go." She gets in her truck with her things and leaves. Daryl just stands there until someone comes over to make sense of his statue-esk self.

"Are you okay?" A guy with red hair asks. Shove past him, Daryl goes up stares before anyone can see his eyes fill up with tears that burst through and land on his cheeks. In his room and slams his door and lays on his bed, crying and cursing everything. His pillow smells like her, so he throws it across the room, breaking a picture of her and him and one of their concerts.

Anger is all he feels, along with a deep pain radiating from his chest.