Chapter 10: A Look

Chapter 10: A Look

Waking up the next morning, Beth feels slightly elated due to last night. Sure she almost crashed and burned, but giving Daryl that peck on the cheek made her realize something that wasn't as clear before. That it's okay to feel something other than nervousness and anger. That being alone isn't a lifestyle it's a shitty choice.

Walking out into the living room, Bob and Sasha and another black guy stare at her in her pj pants.

"Good mornin'." Beth grabs a cup of coffee before perching on the arm of the couch.

"Mornin', this is Tyreese, my brother." Sasha takes a sip of coffee and Tyreese nods to Beth.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Beth."

"Nice to meet you too. Heard you used to go to GHU. Terrible school, wasn't it?" Tyreese looks up from his sudoku and Beth smiles. His broad smile and thick beard make her feel like he is a sweet football player or maybe an artist if some sort. Definitely a big, tall, stocky guy.

"Yeah. Why I came here. Listen, I think I'm gonna go for a run around town. Need to wake up." Setting the dirty cup in the sink, Beth goes back in her room and changes into tight Capri leggings, a purple wind tank top, and a light black zip up jacket. Pulling on her running shoes, she grabs her headphones an iPhone and head out for her jog.

Heart beating. Scenery flashing by. Lungs pumping harder and harder.

Passing the library, Beth ends up running toward Ellis Hall, where many students end up to take their science classes. She pumps her legs harder and accelerates faster. Coming around the corner she runs right into a broad person and gets entangled in the grass.

"Sorry... I wasn't paying attention..." Beth fades off when she finds Shane staring her in the face.

"Man, you were movin' fast." He helps Beth off and they dust off the dirt. Looking at him, Beth is caught on his muscles, her eyes looking him over and over. His bare chest glistens with sweat and Beth feels funny in her stomach.

"I just needed to take a run today... "

"Yeah, relieves stress and helps you think clearly, which I think we all need from time to time." Shane steps closer to her and she can't help but feel a tingling in her throat. "Heard you and Dixon went on a date last night."

"You could call it that, I guess. It's really none of your business though." Beth fixes her pony tail and glowers at Shane, who has a smirk on his face and a mischievous glimmer in his eye.

"Of course. I'm sorry. Are you doing anything later?" Like a crocodile snapping his jaws down on a bird, Beth jumps at the snappy response.

"Well, I...."

"We'll leave the dorm at 7:30. I want you to experience a real date, with a real man." Before she can answer, Shane pecks her lips with a half forceful, half tender kiss on her lips. Placing her fingers to her now abandoned lips, she feels a pang of guilt as she saunters back to her room.

Whilst in the elevator, her mind scurries back to last night outside her door.

"Was this supposed to be a date?"

"Oh"

As the elevator door opens, Daryl greets her with a brimming smile.

"Good morning Greene. Yer up early."

"Yeah, I went for a run. What are you doing with all that.... junk?" He looked like a kid getting ready for a backyard adventure- backpacks slung over his shoulders, two big boxes, and several blankets.