"Hello."

"Hello P'Arthit, you need to get here quickly. It's Paa. Something is wrong with him. Please P'."

The whimpering voice of my sister, bolted me right out of my chair as my heart hammered inside me.

"Siri, sweetheart, you need to calm down and tell P' exactly what happened." I started packing my things with one hand, while the other held the cell phone to my ear.

"I- I was in the living room with Mae when we heard a loud th-thud from his room. By the time we reached there, he was on the floor, shaking and sh-shivering. I have called for an ambulance; it'll be here in f-few. Mae is with Paa. Please P' come s-soon" Siri was sobbing profusely. I ran out and hailed a cab back to my apartment. "Don't worry I am on my way. Till then can you do something for me?"

"Y-yes?"

"Stop crying and stay with Mae till I arrive, okay? Paa needs you to be strong right now. It's going to be alright, I promise. Hang in there."

"Yes P'"

"Now do what I told you to. Love you."

"Love you too."

After almost 3 hours of bus journey, I reached Kanchanaburi Hospital and made a run for the emergency ward. I was panting by the time I reached the waiting room, where I saw Mae sitting on a couch with Siri leaning her head against her shoulder. Siri ran up to me the moment she saw me and engulfed me in a hug. Mae followed with the same.

"Thank god you're here. I don't know what happened- Jack was trembling- It was so horrible to see him like that." I hugged her tighter in an effort to calm her down.

We waited for a while before we were called into the doctor's cabin. Mae and I entered the brightly lit room which resonated perfectly with his composed countenance. The scent that wafted within the walls, brought back a few significant memories which were akin to the present.

As we braced ourselves for what was to come, Mae let out an involuntary sob, trying her hardest to control it. I wrapped my arm around her shoulders and held her against me.

"What is wrong with him this time?"

"His blood count has dropped again. He is stable right now and in therapy."

"How long until this reoccurrence stops?"

"That is what I wanted to talk to you about Arthit. His body is not responding to first line treatment. I suggest we go ahead with a stem cell transplant."

"I was hoping it would work, but since it isn't, do we have a choice?"

"No."

"How risky is the procedure?"

"As with all surgeries, it may have a few complications, but they're still not worth enough to avoid the procedure. It could completely rid him of the cancer."

The visit concluded with the decision of going ahead with the transplant since it was the best, and the only alternative.

We were then taken to a small private ward. Paa was on the bed, still unconscious as a result of the sedatives. I traced my finger along the deep creases that marred his face. Each, a distinct souvenir of the life he shared with us. The overwhelming fondness almost made me slump down on the floor, but I held up squarely as Mae and Siri clung on to me.

Paa woke up after a short period only to be engulfed in abundant embraces and kisses. I smiled, despite the situation, at the warmth and gratitude that filled the room.

We took him home the next day after scheduling a subsequent appointment, regarding the transplant. Paa was not very happy with the idea of being operated upon, but as I said earlier, it was the only resort left. In the time that it took to take Paa home and settle him, a call from Kongpob graced my cell.