Chapter 13

Hermione's POV

As always, Ron and Harry abandoned me and went outside to play quidditch. What was unusual was the fact that Zabini was with them and Malfoy sat with us for breakfast. It was exactly like yesterday: Zabini had sat with us to talk with Ron and Harry, forcing Malfoy to join us too. Then, Zabini, Harry, and Ron went away, leaving me and Malfoy behind. As soon as they were gone, I sighed, causing Malfoy to turn his head to look at me.

«I really feel like a third wheel», I said before turning my attention back to my breakfast, that I had barely touched.

«Do you have anything to do today?», he asked with a slightly tired voice.

«No. I'm done with my homework. You?», I replied, hoping he was free.

«Same», he said before yawning.

«We can spend time together then», I said, holding my breath, fearing the consequences my words could have.

«Well, I guess we don't have the choice at this point. That's already what we're doing anyway», he said calmly.

I was surprised. I didn't expect him to be so calm after I had said these words, even though he was right. We had already spent most of the week together...

After eating breakfast, we went to the library, took two or three books, went outside, sat under a tree, and started reading. All there was was a comfortable silence. It was a sunny day, not too hot, not too cold, just perfect. The leaves of the tree beneath which we sat were starting to turn orange. 

I read for a long while, often having to read sentences several times because of how distracted I was by a beautiful boy sitting at my right. Especially when I noticed that his grey eyes were on me. I lifted my head to look at him so that he would stop starring at me. As I did so, his cheeks blushed slightly, but he just stared right into my eyes. I decided to ignore the stare and to look back at my book, even though what I really wanted was to get lost in the grey of his eyes. 

Of course, I couldn't read a single word.

«By the way, can I call you by your first name?», I ended up asking, not being able to ignore him.

«You didn't ask before tickling me, which is very daring, but you're asking me if you can call me by my first name? That's interesting...» he said with a slight smirk.

«Well, that's the exact reason why I think I should be allowed to call you by your first name at this point», I said, smiling softly. 

«Speaking of tickling, I didn't get my revenge yet», he then said, his smirk widening. I didn't have time to realize what he meant before I was already lying on the grass, laughing and trying to avoid being tickled as much as I could.

«Enough enough enough enough!», I ended up saying between laughs. He stopped and sat back with the same smirk as earlier. I just laid there for a while with a slight smile on my face, looking at the leaves above me as he sat by me. I wanted this moment to last forever. To just lay on the grass, listening to the wind, looking at leaves without having to think about problems. Moreover, the boy I secretly loved sat by me.

«So, what's your answer?», I asked, breaking the silence.

«You can call me by my first name if I can call you by your first name», he answered, looking at the sky.

«It's a yes then», I said, before also turning my gaze towards the sky. 

...

Still Hermione's POV

For the next two weeks, the days were always very similar. We spent hours reading outside when we could. When it rained or it was too dark to read, we went to the library. Often, I couldn't read. I could only think about him. Draco. If only I could tell him I loved him. And sometimes, I felt like he might love me back... No... He probably didn't...

...

Draco' POV

The past days were bliss, some of the best days of my entire life, except for one thing: the more time I spent with her, the more I loved her. The more I loved her, the more it hurt to know she probably didn't love me back, even though sometimes, she gave me that dreamy look. A dreamy look that made my heart melt. A dreamy look that gave me false hopes. I loved her so much. I knew that one day, I wouldn't be able to stand it anymore and I would tell her. When the pain would be strong enough. Unbearable. Or I could tell her as soon as possible so that if she didn't love me back, it wouldn't hurt as much. But how? What would be the best way to tell her? What would happen after I tell her? What if she didn't love me back? It already hurt. Like I was falling in darkness but kept seeing a light somewhere above me. A light that I couldn't reach.  

We sat in the library. I tried reading the book that was in front of me, without success. It was already late. I lifted my gaze from my book to look at Hermione; she laid on the table, resting her head on her arms. She wasn't just laying. She was sleeping. This time, it was for real. 

She looked so peaceful that I couldn't dare to wake her up. She had soft traits and a natural blush on her cheeks that made her look incredibly cute. I sighed, and, just as last time, I took her in my arms and carried her to the common room. Just as last time, the corridors were empty. 

I laid her on the sofa in the common room and went up to the dorm. When I fell asleep, I dreamed of a soft, sweet laugh and deep brown eyes... Of a charming smile... Of her dreamy gaze...