Chapter 15

Draco's POV

I started to regret more and more for having accepted to play quidditch today. Two teams would play against each other: the Crowns and the Swords. I had to play for the Crowns. 

I stood in the changing room that had been assigned to the Crowns, listening to our team captain, a Hufflepuff I didn't know, babbling things about strategy. 'Listening' was a strong word... My thoughts were all about the girl I loved. She loved me back. This was the scenario that I had expected the least, but it was the best thing that could have happened. She had kissed me. I was completely overjoyed about this, and standing in this room knowing that I wouldn't be able to spend time with her for at least two hours was painful. 

Finally came the time to put the uniform before going out on the quidditch pitch. The uniform of our team was black and gold, with black as the main color. A little golden crown was embroidered at the front of the uniform. 

We came out on the quidditch pitch. The public, which was composed of the entire school (even though it was a match between 8th graders only) started making noise. I scanned the audience, trying to find Hermione, but there was so many people that I absolutely couldn't find her. 

Came the time when we had to get to our positions. Soon enough, the match began. I searched for the snitch, keeping an eye on Potter, who, fortunately for me, wore a white uniform, making him easy to see. I had a plan. 

My eye caught a glint of golden light. I watched as Potter dashed towards it, but didn't move, to the disappointment of my team members. All I was doing was dodging the Bludgers that Blaise was sending at me. I had to admit that he was a very good Beater. I cast him a black glance, to which he answered with a smirk. One of my teammates, a Chaser from Ravenclaw, came to see me.

«What are you doing?!» he asked, clearly irritated, almost yelling at me. I ignored him.

Potter followed the Snitch all around the pitch until the motion transformed into a smooth, continuous stroke. As soon as it happened, I dashed right at him. He had his arm extended and didn't see me, a blur of golden light in front of his hand. I changed my trajectory slightly to the right to prevent myself from colliding with him and, as soon as our trajectories crossed, I snatched the Snitch right in front of his hand like a cat catching a bird in the air with its paw. 

I raised my hand with the Snitch in it. The public started making more noise. For the first time, I had caught the Snitch while playing against Potter. It was in a lazy way,  but still a smart and honest way. The game had lasted 30 minutes. I spotted Hermione; she was smiling. It was this warm smile that always made my heart melt. 

I landed softly before handing the Snitch to the person in charge of putting it back to its place. The pitch suddenly got crowded. Hermione emerged of the crowd of people and hugged me. I hugged back, to the surprise of many people. I then pulled back from the hug and gave her my hand. She took it and we started walking away from the pitch; the audience got even noisier. 

...

Hermione's POV

We sat in the Great Hall for lunch, Draco at my side, Ron and Harry looking at us with wide eyes. Zabini, on the other hand, behaved as if nothing had happened. 

«So, are you a couple?», Harry asked shyly.

I realized that we haven't exactly talked about it with Draco; everything seemed clear without words.

«Seems like it», he answered, looking at me with a small but warm smile, his smokey grey eyes filled with affection. 

«By the way, congrats for today's match. This was quite a clever move», Harry said with a genuine smile, looking at Draco. 

«Thanks. I had no choice but to make up a good enough strategy to be able to win against you. I need to admit that you are a very good opponent», Draco answered in a polite way.

I couldn't believe it. Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy were actually having a decent and civilized conversation. Draco had clearly changed. He was so calm... I would even say wise. 

The sound of a spoon clinking against glass resonated in the Great Hall. McGonagall stood in front of Dumbledore's owl stand, a smile spread on her face.

«Dear students. As you know, the war is finally over. The teachers and I decided that we should celebrate our return to peace. To do so, we decided to organize a ball. The ball will be in two weeks. The instructions are the same as for the Yule ball we had had for the Triwizard tournament, except for one thing: in memory of the victims of the war, we would like you to include a black ribbon to your costumes and dresses». As she finished her speech, exclamations of happiness resonated in the Great Hall. Harry and Ron both looked frightened. For me, this was very good news. Judging by Draco's smile, it was good news for him too. 

After dinner, he led me to our tree. The air was even colder than this morning. As we usually did, we sat under the tree, having a simple but pleasant conversation, this time about interesting charms and spells we knew about or have heard of. 

«I know a good one», Draco said in a soft voice.

He took his wand out of the pocket of his coat before casting the spell. Leaves flew gracefully, spiraling, before gathering together in the air in front of us. A soft light started emitting from the leaves, and, slowly but elegantly, as the last leaf added itself to the valse of leaves, they transformed into a white rose with red tips. 

«Will you go to the ball with me?», he asked, handing me the rose.

«Of course I will», I answered with a smile, taking the rose before pulling him into a kiss.