Chapter 3: Home sweet home

Start from the beginning

Luis cussed, shrugging wildly to escape the grip Max had around his neck.

"Damn faggot, get off bro." Max sighed, squizing him until his brother began to calm. He had accepted his fate.

"Thanks." Max mumbled. "For the room." He elaborated when he realized he was talking to a stupid person.

"Whatever, man." Luis muttered, adjusting his mic once more.

"Im never hugging you again." Max shouted over his shoulder as he exited. The only response he received was a middle finger.

Max peeked back in just in time to catch the little smirk on his face. He was then graced by yet another fleeting moment of affection for the kid.

The first day of school went about as well as he had expected it to.

Emily stuck with him all day, as much as she could so she could be there if anything went wrong. She had switched a bunch of her classes to be with him as well.

As much as he wished for space, he knew why she was doing it. It wasn't to stalk or be clingy, it was to care for him and he loved her for worrying.

But..yes. Space would have been great.

The day went okay, health wise. He was feeling better than he had in months, looking better. His friends greeted him and he spoke quietly with some of his teachers who welcomed him back.

He even begged the coach for a spot on the team, even if it wasn't quarterback. Tryouts had been in July and the man had already found Max's replacement. Which killed him. But anything was better than nothing at all.

The coach had agreed, under one circumstance. No incidents. Any signs of poor health, any seizures or faints or so much as a cough, he was off the team. Max eagerly agreed.

So, that left only one more thing. The thing that had Max sunk into his bean bag, blanket draped over him as he huddled over his phone.

 The thing that had Max sunk into his bean bag, blanket draped over him as he huddled over his phone

For what its worth, im sorry.
I wish things were simple.

Did I leave my Khoolaid man shirt at your house?
Sorry

That was a lie, just hoped you'd talk.
I love you.
But really I cant find it.

Max read over the texts, sighing a little. He would have found it hilarious if it didnt depress the fuck out of him.

He just wanted to respond, talk to the boy. Tell him he missed him or loved him or ask if he found his nerdy ass shirt. He loved those things.

Max had seen them at school. Its not like they made a habit of hanging around as a thruple but they were clearly happy. Which he was thankful for. But it sucked to see them. To see how they couldnt even meet his eye.

They were happy without him. He was glad but that didnt mean it was painless.

His finger hovered absently over the call button. He sat there for some time, his brain and his gut fighting for control over his fingers. His desires and his fears battling one another.