Forty-one

“Oh, Niall,” I wailed, cupping a hand to my sweaty forehead as salt water brimmed my eyes. “What’ve you done? Niall please talk to me.”

He looked at me with more sorrow than I had ever seen. Hot tears sauntered down his face and his irises were practically a glowing fluorescent blue. He pulled his shirt up over his face like a mask and heaved in massive gusts of air. In that moment, I could barely see. All I could manage to focus on was Niall and the way that my stomach did summersaults. The agape faces surround us were nonexistent.

“Niall!” I snapped, prompting him to look at me. The dark fabric slithered off his beet face.

“Arielle,” the boy groaned, a loud sniffle coming from his nose.

“Niall tell us what is going on please,” Harry pleaded. The blond just shook his head, grabbing my arm and pulling me away roughly. I winced, accidentally sending Harry and Luke into a pugnacious frenzy.

“Dude, let go,” Luke grimaced. I couldn’t speak, but if I could, I would’ve told him to let go of me as well. His fingers felt like daggers cutting through my flesh like it was butter. Our bodies halted just shy of the door, cold air eerily trickling in from it being ajar. The boy holding me as his hostage just shook his head towards the ground, causing matted hair to flop over his forehead

“I need to talk to Ari alone.”

“Why the fuck can’t you tell us? And let her go, Horan,” Harry snapped.

“He’s fine, Harry,” I whined, lying in hope that I would fool myself. I was not fine with the nails delving into me and I most definitely was not fine with Niall in general.

“You don’t know that. It seems he’s already gotten you into enough shit.”

“Fuck off, Harry,” Niall spat. Harry charged closer, his ears practically blowing smoke and his brows furrowed maniacally. Niall didn’t even flinch.

“Wanna say it again?” he teased, his fingers coiling harder around my arm. Harry opened his mouth to speak until I frigidly cut him off.

“Don’t.”

The room was like a china shop and any movement would bring the whole place down. Melissa was the one to break the too long silence

“You have to tell us what-”

“Melissa,” he coldly cut off, a certain warning in his tone. “I’m talking to Arielle.”

All of their aces displayed shock and I could feel my own jaw slack open. None of the people watching the unfolding tragedy had ever seen Niall be anything but nice to his girlfriend. He treated her like a precious gem, never letting her shatter. His face didn’t even soften.

“I’ll talk to you guys after, but I need to talk to her first… she is the one who it concerns,” he sighed, lip quivering as he pulled me outside and slammed the door shut. I couldn’t tell whether it was the cold England air or my own thoughts that suffocated me.