40. Walk of Life

Season Four

[Lazarus Rising]

(Rae with her knew image. Hmm...

Once again, ignore the name in the song)

Dean was in a dark place breathing heavily and flicked his lighter on. He was inside a wooden coffin.

His voice was hoarse as he cried, "Help! Help! Help!"

He pounded on the wood above his head and dirt rained down on his face, yet he still continued pounding.

Natalia woke up in a dark place, breathing heavily and kicking at the thing above her head. She determined it was wood and mentally cursed herself for not having a lighter on her. Dean always teased her for that.

"Help! Someone!" She cried hoarsely.

She pounded on the wood above her head and dirt fell into her mouth. She coughed and sputtered before resuming her pounding.

FIELD

In the middle of a grassy field, two simple wooden crosses were planted next to each other. Two hands burst from the dirt, followed by two more. It was Dean and Natalia, and they crawled their way out of the ground, groaning and gasping. They laid on their backs, panting. He stood and pulled Natalia up. They looked around in the glaring sunlight. Around the crude headstones was a perfect circle, lying on the ground as though something not of the world had felled them.

"Dee?" Natalia croaked.

Dean hugged her tightly, glad to see that she was okay. That she was alive.

They found a road and started walking along it, soon coming upon an abandoned gas station. They pounded on the door and called out in a hoarse voice, "Hello?"

Dean rolled up his outer shirt over his right and and broke the glass on the door. Inside, they each grabbed a water bottle from the fridge and gulped it, gasping. He found a newspaper and saw the date which read, Thursday, September 18th.

"September," Dean said.

"September?" Natalia repeated. "So I guess I'm not a teen anymore."

They made their way into their separate bathrooms.

MEN'S RESTROOM

Dean washed his face in a dingy sink, then looked up and stared at his reflection. He was wearing a tight black T-shirt. He frowned, stood, and pulled the shirt up to expose his chest.

He remembered his chest being ripped open by the Hellhound.

Dean stared at his unblemished, unscarred chest in the dingy gas station mirror. He turned his left shoulder to the mirror and pulled up his sleeve to reveal a large, raw handprint brand.

WOMEN'S RESTROOM

Natalia washed her face and straightened her rat's nest of a hair as best she could. She studied her black tank top, which was surprisingly clean.

She remembered being blasted with Lilith's white light and feeling a sharp, burning pain, then nothing.

A red mark caught her attention and she lifted her shirt at the waist to reveal a large, raw handprint brand that surrounded one side, from back to front.

The two exited the bathrooms and reentered the main part of the gas station mart.

Dean and Natalia pulled snacks and energy bars from the shelves, along with several bottles of water and stashed them into two plastic bags. Dean stopped in front of a magazine stand and grinned slowly. On the stand was an adult magazine - Busty Asian Beauties. He picked it up, smirked, flipped through it, and stuffed it in his bag.