Pt. 59: Extending A Hand

En başından başla

"Yes and no," Loki said tentatively. "Thanos made me want to do it."

"And Thanos – the guy behind it all – is on his way here right now so he can get another magical rock for his collection?"

"Yes."

"And you're here to ... what? Warn us? Warn me?"

"Yes."

Tony sighed and crossed his arms. "Was that why you cooperated with the suit?"

Loki leaned forward. "Yes."

"Why?"

"Because it's imperative you're prepared and kept safe."

Tony looked down and chuckled under his breath. "Heh, yeah. Sure." His smirk faded as he stood and pointed to Luna. "I want to talk to you." He shifted his gaze to Loki. "Alone."

Loki looked worriedly at Luna, but she gave him a pat. "Go to the lounge. I'll be right with you."

He stood but didn't move any further. "I don't want to leave you," he murmured.

"Too bad, buddy." Tony shooed him. "Skedaddle." Loki looked longing at Luna, wanted nothing more than to stay by her side, but Tony was staring daggers into him. He watched Loki leave, look back one more time, and go down the hall before speaking again. "Heh, can you believe him? Pinning the blame on someone else?"

Luna clenched her hands into fists by her side. "I believe him."

Tony looked scandalized. "You? You believe him? What bubble are you living in? Have you forgotten what he is?"

"I know exactly who he is, and I'm telling you that I believe every word," Luna spoke assuredly, but Tony was slowly starting to snap.

"Seriously?!" he shouted, making her flinch. "He's the one that put the crazy in my head! Barton's head, too! He's why I can't sleep at night! He ruined my life!" His hands were shaking as he pointed wildly at the door.

"It wasn't all him! Did you not hear? There's a bigger threat out there, and he just told you! This is what you warned us all about for years!"

Tony hung his head and shook it as he paced. "No, no, he's putting lies in your head to turn you against me! He's deluding you!"

"Don't you dare call me deluded!" Luna screamed, shocking him quiet. She ground her teeth and continued. "Have you seen the old S.H.I.E.L.D. videos? How he looked when he got here?"

"Oh yes, I have," Tony replied sarcastically. "Good stuff. My favorite part was when he stabbed Agent Coulson through the heart in cold blood!" His voice grew in volume. "Have you seen it, or did you conveniently skip that one?!"

Luna stayed steady. "I'm not asking you to forget that or even to forgive him. I just want you to hear him!"

"What evidence do you have besides that wild story?!"

It's written all over his skin, she wanted to say but decided against it.

"His presence here is evidence enough."

Tony stood straight and gaped at her. "Oh my god. Oh my god," he yelled, "you're sleeping with the enemy!"

"He's not the enemy!"

"So you are sleeping with him."

Luna got defensive. "What I do with him has nothing to do with the situation at hand!"