Pt. 32: The Sincerity Of Apologies

Peter lay on the couch in the living room, settled to sleep with all the lights off but one. Standing side by side, hearts beating in their throats, Luna and Loki stared down at the tiny twin bed appropriately decorated with choice pillows and stuffed animals.

Sighing heavily, Luna broke the silence. "It's not a big deal."

Loki shook his head. "Nope."

"It's only for a few hours." Luna rationalized.

"Mhm." Loki nodded.

"It's just a bed."

"Mhm."

"How big was yours on Asgard?"

"Oh, massive."

"Uh-huh." Luna flexed her jaw and took a deep breath. "Ok, you get in first."

Loki whipped his head around to look at her. "What?"

"You heard me. Now, go on." She waved her hands forward, shooing him forward. Loki thought it best not to put up a fuss, so he complied and rounded off to one side. He lifted the covers and settled in. "How's that?"

"It's fine." In all the times he lay on top of the comforter, he never imagined he would end up underneath it. Though the area was small, it was soft and cozy. Resting his head on the pillow, every breath he took filled him with Luna's distinctive scent. It was sweet, soapy, and little spicy with a hint of lavender.

Luna rubbed her hands together and walked to the other side. She took off her glasses and snuggled herself in, doing her best not to brush against her larger friend. Eager to take up as little space as she could, she turned on her side, facing away from him.

"Now, keep your hands where they ought to be, or you will be sleeping on the ground. Outside. Got it?"

Loki knew better now than to doubt Luna. He turned – facing the opposite direction – and nodded. "Understood."

Reaching out to the side, Luna flicked the switch on her bedside lamp, turning it off and flooding the room with silence and darkness. The tension in her chest and shoulders tightened. Never had she ever had a man in her bed for any reason. In such a context, Loki was frightening without having to do anything at all. Feeling around above her head, she grabbed her stuffed frog and held it close. It eased her fear as she suspected it would.

Luna's mind a whirlwind of thoughts, she settled on one to help her fall asleep faster. "Loki?" she whispered into the dark.

"Hm?" he answered, soft as can be.

"Are you happy here?"

He swallowed, the question catching him by surprise. "Happy? How so?"

"With me, here. Are you happy?" Luna received only silence from him. It was a silly notion, one not meant for pillowtalk close to 4 in the morning. "Never mind. It doesn't matter. Now try to sleep."

They forced their eyes closed and curled into themselves. In this space and moment, time was a lost concept. They let it wander off and welcomed the constant buzz from the City That Never Sleeps. Irony paid them a visit and used the noise to lull them off into their dreamscapes, intent on keeping them there till the world needed them back.

----------

The bright sunshine flowing through the window blinds pulled Peter from his – thankfully – dreamless sleep. Rising to a sitting position, he stretched his arms and rubbed the back of his neck. He blinked and rubbed his eyes, not recognizing his surroundings, but his memory of the previous night came back to him soon enough.