Pt. 58: He Who Controls The Would-Be King

A/N: ooh a little flashback here. I went kinda hard in this chapter. I don't know why it had to be like this, but as soon as I started writing, I couldn't stop until everything sounded complete. I didn't break it into two chapters as I've done before since I know you would just read both anyway, so enjoy this absolute UNIT of a chapter. And I keep forgetting to make this announcement, but this fic is a little over two years old! Yup, its birthday was back at the beginning of April but hey! Here we are! Two years later! Thanks to those who've stuck it out since the start, as well as those who've joined along the way. Even those who just started a week ago, thank you! Love all y'all and your amazing eyeballs that I can put my words into. And happy almost-Pride, lovely children!

----------

Loki woke up feeling groggy and sore. His eyes were murky, and he wanted to rub it away, but his hands were currently occupied. In his arms lay Luna, still deep asleep. He kept still and felt her ribs expand and contract, and little poofs of air come from her. It relieved him to know she was still real and very much ok, but Loki felt dread quickly creep up his spine. They were safe for now, but he didn't know how long 'now' was going to last.

He couldn't go back to sleep. He was on high alert and needed to keep watch. Slow as a snail, he unwrapped one arm from Luna and slid the other from underneath her. The couch's edge was nearby, and he only had to shift one inch to set his feet on the floor. As he stood, Luna rolled onto her back, instinctively taking up the added room. Loki felt terrible for putting her through the cramped sleeping arrangement, but then again, he was right beside her, quite literally. He straightened the sheet covering her and walked to the restroom to freshen up.

When Luna finally opened her eyes, she found herself alone with the smell of something cooking permeating the air. Straightening her tank top, she sat up and took a deep breath. It was a toasty aroma. It beckoned her to investigate, but the urge to pee was overwhelming. The smell would have to wait a minute. As she passed the kitchen, she saw Loki's back and heard the clatter of utensils. How odd.

As she exited, Luna made a stop by her bedroom to check her phone and send a quick text, telling Tony she wasn't feeling well and had to take the day off. He was understanding and gave her the day. She thanked him profusely and left for the kitchen, not bothering with day clothes yet. Loki deserved her attention first.

"Hey," she said, scooting up beside him.

"Good morning," he greeted back with a charming smile. "Did you sleep well?"

"I did, thank you." They both knew it was a lie, but neither said anything. "What are you up to?"

"Seeing as you were still asleep, I took it upon myself to make breakfast for us." Loki moved to the side and presented a hot pan with a cooking pancake inside. On the counter, a plate contained a small stack of finished ones.

"Oh, you made pancakes!" Luna was surprised and very flattered but doubled back a bit. "They do look fantastic, but considering how last night went, I should be the one making you breakfast."

Loki shook his head. "No, I chose to. I do hope you find it good enough. I used your recipe."

"If it tastes as amazing as it smells, I know it's perfect. Here, let me clean my face and change real quick, and we can eat."

"Take your time." He peered into the mixing bowl. "There's still some left."

Luna smiled, squeezed his shoulder, and departed for a second time to her room. She kept her word and did her morning skincare, put on house clothes, and joined him. Loki was puzzled why she was wearing house clothes when she should have gotten ready for work, but he didn't bother with it. He was sure she'd tell him what was going on when it was appropriate.