"Stupid bitch!" one of them yells, grabbing his baton from his belt and bringing it down onto my arm. With a yelp, I fall flat before he rains blows down on my spine as the tears fly down my face.

"Get the fuck away from her!" Jordan shouts, Claudia and Heidi rallying around me as they grab onto my arms and attempt to pull me up. I stumble, the sharp pain in my back hindering my actions. That's going to leave a lovely bruise.

"Mils!" Rayden appears in front of me, grabbing onto my face as he looks into my tear-filled eyes. "Are you okay?"

I can only sob in return, Ray pulling me into his chest as I accept, wrapping my arms around him, desperate for some form of contact. His body is warm and familiar, and therefore immensely comforting, something I urgently need right now. I'm so thankful for him.

"Let's get you home," Claudia says softly. I nod, Rayden stepping back slightly as Heidi grabs onto my hand, gently tugging me forward, all of us walking back through the deserted streets of Nottingham in silence.

By the time we reach the married sector, Jace and Sam finally break. "Who the fuck do they think they are, playing God like this?"

"It's all a joke, it was never going to be a fair trial."

"That sham wasn't even a fucking trial!"

"True. I can't even believe they bothered doing one."

"Waste of fucking time."

"And a whole fucking month?" Jace snaps. "Kayla can't do that!"

"I doubt Zac can either." Heidi pipes up, shooting them both a warning look as I continue to glance between them, silently listening to their conversation. I agree with everything they're saying, without a shadow of a doubt, but there is absolutely fuck all we can do to stop them.

It's over.

*~*~*

The loud knock on the door the next day has me gripping onto the blanket with fear, Claudia jumping up from beside me as Jordan's face clouds over with anger. He stands, quickly making his way towards it.

I'm unable to keep my curiosity at bay, somehow hoping that maybe the State will admit they made a mistake and it's Zac at the door, bloodied and beaten, but alive nonetheless, and not being imprisoned for the next twenty nine days.

"What?" Jordan snaps, his eyes falling on the unsuspecting, fearful looking boy.

"I... I'm just here to deliver this," he stutters. "We have to give one to every household." He holds out the piece of paper in his hands. Jordan grabs onto it, snatching it before slamming the door in the kid's face.

"What is it?" Claudia asks, her hand on my shoulder. I watch as Jordan looks down at it, his face hardening at its contents. "Jordan?"

"Fucking assholes!" he snaps, shaking his head as he tries to rip it up.

"Stop!" I exclaim, jumping forward and ripping the paper from his hand. My eyes flit across the page, a mugshot style photo of the bruised Kayla and Zac at the top, a description of the trial down below, warning people from going against the rules.

"They're using them as propaganda?" Claudia scoffs, shaking her head as her hand rises to cover her mouth. "I'm going to be sick!" She hurriedly runs up the stairs. I can't tear my eyes away, my finger gently smoothing out the creases that cover Zac's face, wanting nothing more than to be able to reach into the picture and save him.

"I need a walk," Jordan snaps, the front door slamming shut behind him. My eyes finally move away from his face, down to the lettering below, only able to register a few of the words;