forty-nine. it's almost time

Börja om från början

"It's a boy," I say confidently. "I'm not predicting. I know it's a boy. I knew it the second I woke up from my coma or whatever the hell happened to me."

Adam takes a breath. He leans against the counter with his arms crossed. "I haven't gotten used to it yet—all the baby talk."

"I won't rub it in. I know you don't agree with my decisions, but hopefully, when all of this is over, you can appreciate what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to keep you alive."

"We're going to figure something out, alright? Nothing is ending. You aren't going anywhere."

I move past him and enter the bedroom to change.

"I mean it, Wrenley."

As I collect my clothes, I tell him, "I know you do, but it's not like the odds are in our favor. My father has been planning this for a very long time, so if there's a way out, it's not going to be obvious. Right now we just need to keep him far away so I can have the baby. After I know you're safe, I'll see what I can do."

When I look back to Adam, he seems very frustrated. I know our helplessness against my father tortures him to no end, but all I can do is try to comfort him while I'm here.

"I know it's not what you want to hear, but this was never supposed to be about us. I was born because of him. Brought here because of him. Mated to you because of him. Everything in my life stems back to him. I'm sorry the moon goddess chose you to be a part of this mess, so let me repay you while I can."

"What if I don't want to be okay without you?" He asks.

I shake my head. "You're an Alpha. You don't have a choice."

Adam holds his tongue.

"Come on. We're going to be late for breakfast."

It's difficult eating breakfast and pretending to be happy all so Adam's mother doesn't catch on to my impending doom, especially now that Adam is back. In Ester's eyes, her son's once useless mate might actually pull through, and there is nothing to be upset about. I'm pregnant. Adam is home. We are all gathered together. So when Adam comes downstairs and sits angrily at the table, she can't help but question him.

"What is it?"

"Still exhausted, right? Being out there, shifted for so long must have taken a toll," I try to cover for him. "I'm sure he'll feel better tomorrow."

He stares at me. He stares as if this is the last time he'll get to look upon my face. It breaks my heart to ignore his pain. I wish I could promise him that I'll be here forever, but I know it's impossible. I don't want to make promises I can't keep.

Adam sighs. He leans back and nods.

Ester's eyes linger, but she's quick to move on. "I was thinking we could go to the market," she tells me. "It might be nice to get out of the house while Ben updates Adam."

"I-I thought he was going to do that tomorrow?"

"No," Adam cuts in, "today is fine. I don't want to waste any more time."

"I agree," his mother says.

"Well, I thought we could spend the day together. Y-You just got back and I feel like I've hardly seen you at all. Can't we just do this all tomorrow?"

Ester reaches across the table and places her hand comfortingly on top of my own. I don't feel very comforted, though. "You'll have plenty of time together tonight. But, we have to let Adam get back into the swing of things. His absence put the entire pack at risk, and he has to do damage control. He has to mend his reputation, and the best way to do so is to get right back to work."