[JM] Love at First Sound pt 3

"What does it look like?"

Your brother hums, holding your ten-year-old hand under the night sky. "Well, the moon is very big tonight. It's full, large and gray. Oh, and there's a big dipper right above it. Remember what that one looks like?"

You don't respond and simply hold up your other hand.

He understands the gesture and takes it to use his finger to then draw out the constellation on your palm.

"I remember now."

||

"Kyuhyun, can you help me?" You call out to your brother from your room.

You hear the floorboards creak as he enters your room that morning. "Yeah, what's up?"

"I don't know where I put my white dress. The one with the sleeves?" You ask him while standing by your closet. Even though you've organized it a way that you've memorized where all your clothes are, you still get confused when you need something you haven't worn in a long time.

"Why do you need that one? Aren't you just going to Doctor Kim?" He asks, and you hear him sift through your closet nonetheless. The dress was something way more elegant than you'd usually wear to your regular visit to the doctor.

You're quiet at first, already knowing your brother wouldn't like the response. "Well, I asked Yugyeom if he wanted to come today. Doctor Kim said there may be good news."

"Did he respond?" Your brother sighs.

"Well, no. I'm sure he's very busy, but I know he'll come." You say with hope. "And if I don't take my supporter cane, maybe he'll see that I'm getting better, and—"

"Y/N!" Your brother bursts, interrupting you.

You tense up; frightened.

He sighs. "I'm sorry. Just— you know how scared I get when you go alone already. You have to take your cane. If something were to happen, I-I don't know what I'd do."

"I know," you respond lightly. "I just want him there with me for once."

You brother wraps his arms around you moments later, pressing the dress into your hands. "Still wear it. You look beautiful, and maybe there will be better news today."

He takes your hand in his, drawing two dots and a curved line. A smiley face. Something he always did to you as a kid to cheer you up.

You nodded your head and attempted a smile, but deep down you knew.

You knew that there was no good news. Because you stopped believing that after the first thirty times your doctor said that. Not once had there been anything good.

***

Leaning against the familiar metal of the subway you take daily, you sigh. You knew Yugyeom wasn't going to show up, he never did. So why did you have to wear this dumb dress? Today would be no different.

"Hey stranger," a voice pulls you out of your thoughts. You immediately recognize it.

"Hi. Jimin, was it?" You straighten your posture, looking forward with what little control you had left in your eyes. You can only hope that you've managed to look near his eyes.

He hums a yes at that. "Y/N, right?"

"Yes," you respond. "You're here again. Does that mean you usually take the subway at this time too?"

"I did promise I'd come here again yesterday," he reminds you. "Here I am."