Chapter 89: Overdue Answers

Začít od začátku

Annie flashed me a look of gratitude before taking in a deep breath, her head facing the white ceiling as she quietly murmured, "Where should I begin...."

After a moment's pause, Annie finally began the tale. "Have you ever heard of the nursery tale about werewolves? The one about the Golden King?"

I nodded, remembering the time Ms. Falida telling the story and scaring the living hell out of the younger kids in the orphanage. "Normal kingdom, werewolves started appearing, then the king they wiped them all out."

"Well." Annie clapped her hands together. "That's basically the gist of the story."

"Wait.... you mean that dumb kids' story is actually real?"

"More or less, yes. Werewolves started appearing one night and began wreaking havoc. Every night, there would be more and more that come and nobody knows where from. The king was furious and ordered his soldiers to hunt down and exterminate every single one."

"....But he failed." I remarked, briefly gazing at Annie then myself.

"Obviously, he did."

"How? Why?"

"Because of fear. You see, many werewolves were brutally killed publicly and those who survived began living in absolute fear for their lives. It took some time, but they forced themselves to learn how to control their wild behaviors during a full moon. And afterwards, they learnt how to hide their ears and tails."

"Oh...." I murmured, feeling a wave of unpleasant emotions.

It wasn't a good feeling to learn that the only reason werewolves can hide their ears and tail completely was because they were afraid to die. I can't even imagine how terrifying it must've been for them back then.

Annie continued. "The king didn't stop there. He was determined to get rid of every single one of those.... monsters. But werewolves have managed to hide themselves amongst humans so well that it became impossible to tell who was one or not."

The blonde girl stopped, gazing down darkly at her clenched fists.

"Annie..?"

"I've heard every single werewolf who told me this story say the same thing. The reason why the king was so desperate to get rid of werewolves was not because he wanted to protect his people, but protect his family and the "popularity" of his kingdom. It didn't matter if they were a werewolf or not, his guards would kill anyone and everyone they thought was a werewolf without a single blink. So on that night... when the final attack took place... hundreds of humans died alongside werewolves."

Annie stared down defeatedly, her eyes narrowed in pain. "Only after that, the king was satisfied enough and called off the purge once and for all. Hundreds of others had to die that night.... so we could live today. If our secret was revealed again in the present time, I don't know what would happen."

Guilt.

I felt so much guilt sitting at the bottom of my stomach. The fact that I used to hate werewolves so much made me feel ashamed and guilty like never before. How I was so desperate to uncover all their secrets to the world... when they had lost so much to keep it hidden. I was wrong to say I hate werewolves back then; I should've never said something so awful.

I should've just said I hated Kenny. Just Kenny. Only him, not anyone else from the werewolf race. They didn't deserve the rage I bore from one guy's doings. Maybe that's why Levi hated me so much back then. He's not at fault at all though, I would have hated me too.

The brief thought about Kenny reminded me of a question I had asked myself earlier. "Annie, can I ask something else?"

"Shoot."