huit

"It's always been that way, it seems
One love begins, one comes undone"

Bear had an inclination to come snug in between Harry and I.

We were in the thrift store, resting on our backs with the backside of our legs flush against the wall and feet in the air. The sliver of space between us was where Bear decided to squeeze himself and plop down.

How we had ended up in such a position was unknown as conversation took ahold of my concentration.

"Sunset or sunrise?" He asked, knocking his sock clad toes against each other.

"Sunset."

"Why?"

I exhaled a breath and held my arms up in a poor demonstration. "The sun fades into a sheath of black. But it does so beautifully, taking with it an array of colors. Blues, pinks, purples, oranges, reds. It decides differently each night, but never fails to make an arresting assemblage of them."

Harry simply hummed.

"I think if people left like the sun, life would be much different," I said.

In my peripheral vision I saw him crane his neck to look at me. "How so?"

"If people faded but left a path of cotton candy blues and cherry blossom pinks before completely muting to a shade of black, being left wouldn't be so scary. But really, people leave and it's like a light switch. Once they were bursting with light, showering you with the vibrant iridescence of the rainbow. Then out of nowhere it's just dark and all you have left of them is their shadow. It's cold there."

"You speak with experience?" He inquired softly.

"I would be lying if I said no," I murmured. I didn't want to lie to him.

Harry emitted an aroma of closure and comfort and care. There was something about him that made me not mind spilling the ins and outs of my mind, despite the fact that I had known him for less than a week. I wanted to know him. And I wanted Harry to know me.

"Are you in the cold now?"

"I think so." I know so.

"For how long?"

"Too long." We conversed quietly with delicacy as if the dust could be woken from sleep if we were too loud.

"The night doesn't last forever. The sun comes out from the dark eventually in her inevitable fate. And when she arrives, she arrives too with beauty and colors. In a rebirth."

I sighed.

"The sunrise holds a sort of promise. That there is light after dark. That you can step out of a frigid shadow when time allows. Some of us can't help but sleep during the day and that's okay, but only if you let yourself live in light eventually again," he continued.

I didn't speak because I knew we weren't just talking about the earth's orbit. I let Bear's heavy breathing reply for me instead. My heel rapped gently against the wall.

"I've always preferred sunrises. Waking up early to see them; to see the sun coax from its slumber in a sea of dewy pastels or burning neons. The process unique each time, but magnificent nonetheless. Birds chirping in support, cheering for the huge star's return."