I'm Not Okay (I Promise)

You know how some things are stereotypes? Smart people wear glasses, blondes are dumb (as a blonde, I'm allowed to say this), Wattpad readers love a bad boy, etc? That kind of stuff?

And how, generally, for the most part, this is a bad thing (particularly when you're blonde, don't wear glasses and your stories are remarkably bereft of bad boys)? Well, no argument here. In the majority of cases, I suspect stereotypes are negative and should be discouraged. We are all unique individuals, with IQs independent of our hair colour and our stance on bad boys, whether pro or anti, should in no way be held against us.

The thing is, though, while that may be the case for the majority of cases, it's not the case for all cases. Sometimes, just occasionally, a stereotype can be a good thing. Once, every hundred thousand years or so, when the sun doth shine and the moon doth...

Whoops—another song tried to muscle its way in there. Sorry about that.

As I was saying, in very rare, special instances, a stereotype can sometimes be good. How is this possible, (I'm going to assume) you ask?

Simple. Well, the theory is simple. The actual achievement is somewhat more of a challenge. You see, the way in which a stereotype can become a good thing is by transcending the very concept of which it is being stereotypical.

Which brings us to this chapter's song of regard—I'm Not Okay (I Promise), by My Chemical Romance.

Now, MCR are an emo band. Apparently they've tried to deny it, presumably they have fans who deny it, but despite these denials, there simply is no denying it—these guys are as emo as it gets. Eyeliner doesn't lie.

So, MCR are an emo band. Therefore, it stands to reason that I'm Not Okay would be an emo song. And it is.

Oh my goodness, how it is.

And that's fine. I'm not an emo (wrong hair colour, for a start, and just a little too old) but I have no problem with the whole concept of emo. Angst and guitars? More power to 'em, I say. But in general I like my music to be just a little more upbeat and a little less concerned with existential dread and the fundamental pointlessness of everything.

And yet, I will happily listen to this song any day of the week.

I'm not going to list all the emo boxes the song (and its film clip) tick (teen angst, exclusion, bullying, abuse of power, failure to recognise the existence of any colours other than black, to name just a few) but you can rest assured that it ticks most of them. In red ink. Made of blood.

It does so openly, from the spoken intro (which is about being rejected) right through to the very conclusion (which is, somewhat confusingly, apparently about the hatred of mascots). It does so unashamedly. And it does so to a truly great punk-rock tune that just begs to be played loud.

It's so emo it doesn't care it's emo and that's kind of its secret (well, that and the kickarse guitars). Thus, in my humble opinion, I'm Not Okay is that rarest of beasts—the good stereotype. The kind that goes beyond stereotypical to become, quite simply, quintessential.