Victory

Victory was always going to feature somewhere in these pages, and I can't think of a more appropriate place to put it than directly after Hans Zimmer's Time.

Because you see, these two songs share a critical chunk of core DNA—the DNA that encodes for monumental amounts of momentousnessness...ness...um...ness...

Ahem.  Let's just say they both, in a very major way, distinctly convey the impression that important, big-arse, next-level stuff is about to go, is currently going, or has gone, down.

There is, however, a key difference.  Time, on the one hand, evokes soundscapes that are indeed epic, but also clearly quite serious—weighty, ominous, significant.  Maybe even just a little bit sombre.

Victory, on the other hand?  Oh, Victory's got the scale covered.  In Victory, clearly some colossal shit is going down, in a major way.  Where Victory differs is that this shit is also just a little bit crazy-arse bonkers.  Actually, make that a lot crazy-arse bonkers.

Two Steps From Hell, the guys behind this song, do music for movie trailers, and in Victory, boy does it show.  Trailers basically slap you in the face with the good stuff, in order to get your attention, and then keep on slapping, to maintain it.

Victory slaps you in the face with a bus.

Of course there's an orchestra.  How many pieces?  I don't know, but I suspect it's in the hundreds.  Choir?  Check.  Pounding, martial drumbeat?  Check.  Female singer doing her very best to induce vocal cord nodules at the earliest possible opportunity?  Check, check and double check.  This lady is so hardcore she doesn't even need any words.

With Time, you might imagine a powerful politician wrestling with a weighty dilemma.  With Victory, you're more likely to imagine a powerful wizard wrestling with a weighty dinosaur.  With Time, orderly ranks of grim-faced soldiers battle to the end against insurmountable odds.  With Victory, unholy swarms of orc-alien hybrids parachute into Arkansas for a pizza-run.

Time exudes gravitas.  Victory?  Victory oozes kick-arse.

Air guitar?  Not so much.  Air-swordfighting?  Now you're talking.   Put it on, play it loud and start swinging.