Chapter 29

Archer's POV

The inside of the cabin was just how I imagined it would look, judging from the state of it on the outside.  

Scarce furniture littered the place, an old couch, and a chair that looked like they were older than my grandma Mabel, were all torn apart, broken, and probably home to a raccoon or two.  

The wooden floors, just like the wood outside, looked rotten in certain places, and I could see dead roaches and animal droppings covering the floor to give it a little extra flavor.  

This place definitely wasn't going to make it on HGTV anytime soon.  

Cobwebs and dust thicker than syrup were the dominant features in here. They covered everything.  

The kitchen that was right off to my left looked like it was home to a thousand different diseases, both known and unknown, and hadn't been cleaned even when whoever used to live here occupied it. 

That very kitchen was the source of something that had to be dead judging by the smell. 

As soon as that thought entered my mind, another one followed right after, that made my blood run ice cold in my veins. 

Slowly I made my way into the kitchen to see exactly what the source of the smell was, praying harder than I ever had that it really was just a dead animal. 

Stepping into the kitchen, the smell got stronger until I had to use my jacket's sleeve to cover my nose to keep from gagging. 

It smelled awful. 

Something was definitely dead. 

Stepping around an upturned, small, wooden dining table that was missing one of its legs, I walked towards the old white fridge that sat in the corner. 

The smell got stronger the closer I got to the fridge until I had to do awkward mouth breathing to keep from puking right there on the floor. 

Staring at the fridge in front of me like it was a ticking time bomb, I slowly reached one hand out and pulled the door open. 

As soon as the door was open, the smell was everywhere, and the contents of my stomach were on the floor.

A fucking possum.

There was a dead possum in the fridge.

How the hell did that even get in there?

After emptying my stomach on the floor, I quickly closed the fridge and exited the kitchen, trying to get away from the stench. 

Back in the small living area, I saw that there wasn't much else to the small cabin. There was a hall right off the living room that led to what was left of the cabin.  

Looking down the hall, there were four doors. Two on the right and two on the left, and there was a small window at the end of the hall that looked out into the dense forest that surrounded the cabin. 

Slowly I made my down the hall and opened the first door on my right. 

It was a bedroom.  

Or it used to be. 

The bed and all other furnishings were long gone. The only thing left was the old metal frame for the bed. 

I was pretty sure Gemma wasn't in here, but just for good measure, I checked the small closet towards the back of the room and found nothing but more dust and dead bugs.

Exiting the room and coming back out into the hall I could see that the room across from this one on the left was a bathroom as the door was cracked open slightly and I could see the end of a toilet that just like the rest of the stuff in this damn cabin, had seen better days.