Chapter 6

Sitting next to Cade for twelve hours was by far the worst experience of my life and given what I recently went through that was saying something.

We hadn't even been in the air for an hour and I was already considering jumping out of the plane.

When Cade started to try and make conversation with me I almost shot out of my seat to head for the emergency exit.

"How is he?" Cade asked out of the blue.

I was planning on ignoring him for the entire flight but my curiosity won out and I frowned and turned to look at him.

"Who?"

"Archer. How is he?" Cade asked like it was obvious.

I narrowed my eyes at him as I felt my anger flare up.

"After what you did, you have no right to ask about him. Just know that he's doing a hell of a lot better without you in his life."

Cade eyes widened in shock before he looked down in obvious guilt.

"I never meant to hurt him he's my best-"

"Was." I corrected.

Cade swallowed hard.

"Right. Archer was my best friend. I would never do anything to intentionally hurt him."

Right, because going behind his back and banging his girlfriend screamed "I'm not doing this to hurt you"

I folded my arms across my chest.

"Except you did."

Cade sighed heavily.

"Yeah...I did. But you have to understand that I didn't mean for any of it to happen. It's just one thing led to another and-"

I held my hand up, effectively cutting him off.

"I really don't give a damn. I don't want to hear your excuses or about how you ended up with Avery. She's a jackass and you're an even bigger one, end of story."

Apparently Cade was getting tired of me bashing his girlfriend because he suddenly clenched his hands into fists before he said anything else.

"Look I know I was in the wrong, but you don't even know her so stop talking about her like you do." Cade said through clenched teeth.

Funny. Archer had said something similar to me and yet, look where Avery was now. Still with his ex best friend.

I felt my face heat up in anger. I knew it wasn't a good idea to add fuel to the fire but I couldn't help it.

"Oh really? I think I know her very well." I started listing off with my fingers.

"She's the biggest slut at school, she's slept with at least fifteen boys from our class alone and who knows how many she's slept with from our school. She lives to ruin people's lives if you haven't already noticed. I mean she went behind Archer's back with you, his best friend. Avery isn't the girlfriend type and the sooner you realize that the better. Hell, you might want to go around and find out if she's banging any guy behind your back."

I should've stopped right there but I was so fed up with hearing his excuses for both him and Avery.

"You know, I wouldn't even be surprised if at some point during the flight she ends up screwing the pilot."

I saw Cade's hand move before I felt the sting of his hand against my cheek.

My head rocked back and hit the window and I had to blink a few times to clear the black spots that were swimming in my vision.

When my vision cleared I stared at Cade in silent shock with my mouth slightly open.

He fucking hit me.

"Gemma I-" was all Cade got out before Archer was suddenly there and smashing his fist into Cade's face.