Chapter 27

Dylan's P.O.V.

Officer Useless had just gathered some more of his men so that I could take them to where that nut case was hopefully still lying unconscious, while Gemma snuck in and went to find Archer.

As much as I hated the guy, I did hope that she found him in time. I wasn't that messed up in the head that I'd wish death on him.

About ten minutes had passed with me nearly putting a hole in the ground with my pacing when Officer Useless finally came back with five other men.

Noticing that we were obviously one person short, he frowned and looked around.

"Where's your friend?"

I shrugged.

"Am I her babysitter?"

Officer Useless narrowed his eyes at my remark.

"Listen kid-"

"Sorry, but we really don't have time for this. The more time we spend here talking the more time that psycho has to wake back up. So let's go."

I had just taken a step toward the van, prepared to completely ignore anything else Officer Useless had to say, when what sounded like a fucking volcanic explosion erupted behind me and I was instantly knocked off my feet from the blast.

I landed flat on my stomach, the air knocked completely out of me and the air leaving my lungs in one breath.

Wheezing and ears ringing, I rolled over on my back in time to watch the remaining pieces of glass from the hotel's first floor windows hit the ground and smoke and flames rise from the openings.

Somewhere in the background I heard screaming and shouting, officers yelling orders, but I could barely concentrate on any of it. All that was on my mind as I watched the smoke become thicker and the flames larger and brighter, was that the bomb had went off.

The bomb had went off and neither Gemma nor Archer were anywhere to be seen.

I quickly scrambled to my feet, ignoring the stinging from my hands and knees after the fall, and rushed forward. I wasn't exactly sure what my intent was because I wasn't the human torch but I was stopped before I even made it halfway.

Officer Useless was looking at me like I was crazy.

"Kid are you crazy?!" He yelled down into my face, confirming my thoughts.

"The whole damn building just exploded! You need to stay back."

I shook my head and tried to step around him but he didn't budge.

"My friends are in there. I have to-"

"You don't have to do anything but stay back and let us do our jobs." Officer Useless firmly stated.

"Now you stay here. Understand?"

I exhaled heavily, and nodded once.

Officer Useless looked at me for a few more seconds, scanning my face suspiciously before he turned around and quickly headed toward the wreckage.

That was his mistake.

Like hell I was about to just sit here and watch. I knew what putting all your faith and waiting on the police led to.

Checking to make sure no one was paying me any attention, I snuck off to the side of the building in the same direction Gemma had went.

As I made my way along the side of the building I came to an emergency exit but any small hope I had of making it into the building were smashed as I saw smoke bellowing up from the door which was slightly ajar.