Epilogue/Special Thanks/What's Next

The temperature inside the court room was freezing.

The A/C felt like it was on thirty. It was so cold in here I was sitting here shivering.

Or maybe it wasn't the cold that had me shaking in my seat on the wooden bench.

It could very well be the fact that the man who had caused me so much pain, so much grief, and so much heartache in such a short amount of time was finally being sentenced today.

A day I never thought I'd see.

Not that long ago I wasn't even sure if I was going to live and now, well now I was going to see the man who was the cause of it all locked away.

And after everything, he most definitely had it coming.

2 Weeks Ago

Waking up in a hospital was not my favorite pastime and yet this was already the second time it had happened and the reason behind it all was the same.

Glancing down I wasn't surprised to see the various tubes connected to my arms that led to IVs, nor the bandages I could both see and feel covering various parts of my body.

Reaching up slowly, I brought the tips of my fingers to my cheek and instantly winced.

There was no doubt I looked as bad as I felt.

"Honey you're awake."

I turned my head to the side where my mom, who had obviously been sleeping, was now getting up from her spot in what had to be the world's most uncomfortable looking chair.

How did she get any sleep in that?

My mother rushed over to me and lifted her hands like she wanted to touch me but instantly thought better of it as she looked me over and silently dropped her hands to her side.

I must've really looked bad.

I reached out and grabbed one of her hands.

"It's okay. I'm not going to fall apart if you touch me." I attempted a weak smile, but even that small movement brought on almost unbearable amounts of pain.

Seeing my wince, my mom's eyes instantly filled with tears.

"I'm so sorry baby." She whispered as silent tears began to fall.

My heart clenched at the sight.

"Mom, none of this is your fault."

She shook her head, bringing her hand to her mouth to muffle her sob.

"It is. I let you go on that trip against my better judgement. I knew something bad was going to happen. I felt it the moment you got on the plane."

I shook my head.

"There's no way you could've known what was going to happen."

"Maybe not exactly, but you're my baby girl. I know when there's something wrong when it concerns you."

"Mom." My own voice was wavering and I could feel the tell tale sting behind my eyes.

"And I ignored it." She continued, even more tears leaving a trail down her cheeks now.

"I ignored it and look what happened to you."