the beginning

A/n: I'm going off my personal experience with the dates of when everything happened, so in my case quarantine rules were set on March 13 right before spring break was supposed to end for everyone in school.

Friday, March 13th, 2020

I was at Kai's house when it happened. I had seen it happening in other places but I thought it would blow over before it reached my city.

No, this isn't the zombie apocalypse. It's the corona virus. Started in China, and now in states all across the US and other countries. There's no vaccine so they set quarantine and social distancing laws for everyone.

We were watching Netflix on Kai's laptop with the tv on in the background when the news reporter said something taht caught my attention.

"Mayor Klein is setting quarantine laws on the county beginning tomorrow."

I tapped Kai on the shoulder and pointed to the tv and we listened to the rest of what the woman had to say.

"All children and teens should stay inside the house while adults should only go out for essentials such as food, beverages, and medical or hygiene products. All schools in the county will be closed and all student guardians will be e-mailed further information on the subject by Monday."

"Well shit," I looked at Kai who was equally as shocked and upset about the news, "there goes our spring break plans."

He laughed slightly and shrugged, "Yeah but I guess it's for the best. Going home tomorrow?"

"I guess so."

We decided to go to sleep and cuddled up together since it would be the last time for a while. Kai was my best friend besides Aviva and Cap. I was also friends with Caleb but he lived in Australia so we didn't get to see him often, making us not as close friends.

We woke up at about 11 that morning and ate a quick breakfast before Kai took me home. When I got home my mom and dad were saying they were worried about me so much but I didn't really see why.

"Did you think I was gonna get stuck at Kai's house or something?"

"Who knows? Just glad you're home before this got any more serious." My mom said and I just nodded and went upstairs to my room. I sat in my room and texted the Instagram group chat with Kai, Cap, Aviva, Jess, Noen, and Caleb in it. They were all talking about quarantine and panicking about it.

Aviva asked if we wanted to video call and we all agreed except Noen and Jess because they were busy. I begged them to call but they wouldn't listen :(. I turned We Bare Bears on the tv and answered the call.

"Yay my favorite person's here!" Kai exclaimed.

"Yeah right" I said sarcastically.

"Ew Caleb Finn is here," Aviva said and scrunched up her nose jokingly, "Fuck you Caleb Finn!"

"Fuck you!" Cap repeated and everyone started saying it and Caleb just stared at us with a fake pout which I thought was funny.

"Is Damiar okay?" Kai asked and I tensed up and stayed quiet.

"I dunno, he hasn't been active on discord, tiktok, or instagram," Cap replied, stuttering as usual. He has a hard time being serious and it's actually entertaining to watch him try to stay serious when we're talking. I think Aviva noticed the discomfort written all over my face and she changed the subject.

Damiar used to be my best friend too. Kai, Damiar, and I were like the three musketeers. Well Damiar and I were more... but that's in the past. I'd like to just forget about it.

Sunday, March 15th, 2020

I woke up at about 9 that day to a knock on the front door. I didn't hear the door open for a few minutes so I got up to answer it, but my parents got to it first. It seemed they were already in the kitchen making breakfast. I walked slowly down the stairs still tired in my pajamas, wondering what someone would want so early in the day. Especially during quarantine.

I sat down at the table and my dad noticed and slid a plate of pancakes over to me. I began eating as my mom stood in the doorway talking to someone. I couldn't really hear what they were saying and I didn't recognize the other voice so I just ignored it.

"Y/n?" My mom said and I looked up at her, who was stepping away from the doorway and leading someone else inside. She walked to the counter leaving the two people she was talking to in my view. I gulped and looked at my mom confused.

"Damiar and his mom are going to be staying with us for a while. Just before quarantine was set they were evicted from their house, and they had to stay at a hotel last night. I figured you'd like that since you and Damiar are friends."

I furrowed my eyebrows now getting a little mad, "Used to be friends, ma. That was a long time ago."

"But you've known each other since fourth-" I stood up before she could finish and ran upstairs. This cannot be happening. There's no way I'm going to survive with him in my house and neither of us being able to leave.