Chapter 1

Elpida, Agapi, and Apodochi, dancing across the Safi River, was a great indication that it was indeed a hopeful day. The river's thundering hums made it sound creepy yet interesting. The puffins' sweet melodious voice blended perfectly with the singing Safi River.

With their feathers sharing blast of hues scattered on the rainbow soil, Tharros and Dianoia exemplified how peace could make an individual appreciate life at its best. And even in the powerful wrestle between Epimoni and Dynami, the heavens would surely smile with joy to these wonderful puffins. Yes, life to them meant flying round Mount Otago, soaring and embracing the air of optimism.

Settling in the mountain was the best way to forget all the struggles reigning Sklavois, the lost paradise that people were looking for. Who would have thought of pain and death if they were surrounded with crystal waters and colorful soil? None. In here, one could say that life was consistently wonderful.

"Apodochi, did you see those blossoming pink flowers of the trees near Mergalio?" asked Elpida.

"Yes, of course!" exclaimed Apodochi. "They're beautiful!"

"I promise I'll take care of those flowers. I'll sing for them and shower them with these crystal water even if I'll ran out of breath! I love them," uttered Agapi as she was gliding in the water.

These puffins surely knew how to see everything in a rosy lens. If only Sklavois can experience such joy. It would have been great.

"I wonder if I could make another color after mixing the hues in our feathers. What do you think, Tharros?" asked Dianoia, while rolling on the rainbow soil happily.

"Oh, I'm really not sure about that," answered Tharros. "Red. Red is the only color that makes me feel everything."

Were all these puffins sweet and gentle? No, they're not. On the other side of the lake, Epimoni and Dynami overpowered one another as they strengthened their wings and sharpened their beaks with raw hunger for battle.

"Is that all you've got, Epimoni?" taunted Dynami as he bit his friend's wing. Epimoni yelped in pain as he grappled Dynami's leg and pushed him to the nearby stone.

"That hurt!" shouted Epimoni. "You may be strong but I'll never let you beat me just like that!"

The two puffins continued to pull and push each other until they felt splashes of cold water on their faces.

"Loosen up! Let us just enjoy the water instead of you fighting with each other," said Agapi.

In one splash, all of them started squishing water at each other and bursting with laughter. That momentary bliss made them forget about the time and everything in life. Happiness, that time, was within their reach.

"Nooooooooo! No! Enough! Stop it!"

With that loud scream, the puffins stopped with all the fun that they were having. They looked at each other and rapidly flew to the top of the mountain. As they get closer to the top, they could hear louder sobs and horrifying lamentations.

"I-I don't want to see this anymore. Enough! Please, stop this... Stop."

That voice took away all the happiness of the puffins in an instant. They suddenly want to give up their joy just to change everything.

There he was, a sturdy tree, screaming on top of his lungs. The puffins saw Mergalio crying bloody tears while trying to move his arms and legs and failed to do so. Like a father doing everything for his child, Mergalio desperately exhausted himself just to get out of his miserable state.

"Warrior, what happened?" asked Apodochi. "Why are you grieving again?"

"You can share your pain with us," consoled Agapi.