I look across at Luke now, who is finally not trying to avoid my gaze. I smile softly up at him, thanking him silently for what he did. Despite the fogginess of my memory from that night, being trapped in the seatbelt with no way out was clear as crystal to me. I had told Luke to go. I told him to leave me. I knew that if he stayed and tried to free me — which I thought at the time was impossible — he would have likely drowned as well. But Luke didn't listen — and it is because of that fact alone that I am alive today.

Calum lets out a long sigh, this one far less frustrated than all his others, and finally begins nodding. "Okay, fine," he agrees, slowly but surely. He then turns to Luke, a stern finger pointing accusingly toward him. "But this is your last chance."

Luke nods profusely, his blue eyes wide with fear. "I'll look after her," he promises.

"I'm serious, Luke," Calum continues, both his hands now detaching from mine. "I don't care how much you two hate each other. You need to sort your shit out."

Luke only continues nodding. "I will — I am," he assures my brother.

Calum lets out another sigh and stands up from my bed. "I've gotta head to work in a bit," he begins to tell me, his voice now soft and sweet, contrasting the stern tone he used with Luke. "But mum's taken some time off work to look after you."

"What?" I almost leap out of bed in surprise. I know how hard my mother works, and it is very rare for her to take time off, even if one of her children is sick — usually, it was Calum and I looking after each other. So, I am extremely surprised to discover that she's taken time off for my injury. "She doesn't need to do that."

Calum shrugs. "Well, she already has," he concludes. "Besides, she already had time off for the Hemmings lunch."

The Hemmings family lunch had been an annual family tradition since before I can remember. It had originated from celebrating Nanna Mae's birthday, but while it continues to fall on that date, it's now more of a gigantic feast — almost like Thanksgiving. Ever since Luke and Calum had become friends, Nanna Mae had insisted on inviting our family to the event. I had always suspected it had something to do with the fact that we were fatherless, and perhaps she took pity on us for having a broken family, but Nanna Mae had always stated that it was simply because she likes us. Despite my long-running hatred for Luke, I had always enjoyed the Hemmings family lunches. It's a place I always feel welcome — a family.

"I'm going to get you some water," Calum announces, offering me a soft smile before turning and leaving the room — leaving just Luke and I to continue our discussion.

The blonde boy approaches my bed softly, as if I might run away if he moves too suddenly, and sits tentatively on the edge.

"How are you feeling?" Luke asks softly, reaching forward to push my hair back behind my ear.

"The same as I did five minutes ago when Calum asked me," I respond sarcastically, resisting the urge to roll my eyes at Luke. "Fine."

Luke only nods, clasping his hand over mine. "Right," his blue eyes gaze over my body, as if checking me for any injuries the hospital might've missed. "I'm so sorry, Rory."

I don't refuse to roll my eyes this time, allowing Luke to view my disdain. "Stop, Luke," I order him, squeezing his hand tightly. "I don't want to hear another apology."