𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫𝟏𝟑| 𝐀 𝐁𝐨𝐲 𝐖𝐡𝐨 𝐖𝐚𝐬 𝐍𝐨 𝐋𝐨𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫 𝐌𝐢𝐧𝐞

a boy who was no longer mine

"so he really lied to you after all of that?" Ben asked with a sincere smile, i nodded

"so he really lied to you after all of that?" Ben asked with a sincere smile, i nodded. we had found a local park and sat on a pair of swims, he had been great company, better than anyone recently. "i guess i will get over it, i am just surprised that Ella would ever do that to me, after all these months," i sighed, he just shook his head. "Mel, i don't want to put ideas into your head, but i cant help but feel that she did it on purpose. i mean, it seems abit out there, but maybe this was her plan all along," i listened to his words and tried to let them register, it was all true. she suddenly dropped her whole friend group for me, she spent months asking about parties etc, all she wanted was to be in the position i was. i thought we were just similar, but in reality she wanted to be me, why me? i'm not all that special. "i think you're right Ben," i said, "i think she wanted to replace me, and if i'm honest, i couldn't care less. i don't even want to be me anymore, i just want to move away and start over. a fresh start," i added with a sad sigh.

"i think you don't need a fresh start, i think you just want this to be over. it's not the same Mel, this is only a chapter in your life, restarting the whole book because you didn't like one chapter would be useless, you'd just end up repeating the cycle over and over again," Ben said as he pushed himself back and forth lightly on the swing. he was right, i had been just running from everything, i never faced the reality like i should have. "Ben, i know we just met, but i think we will be great friends," i said as i placed my hand on to his shoulder. i took this time to admire his features, he had dark hair, blue eyes, soft cute features, he was rather handsome. i'm surprised that he wasn't back at the party with the most beautiful girl in the place, he deserved it. "hey, i'm holding you up here, let me get you an uber home," i said pulling out my phone, he shook his head lightly, "no, please, i can make my own way home," he said. "we can walk together," i smiled.

"wait so you actually fell off the stage?" i laughed out, he nodded with a chuckle, he was telling me embarrassing stories of his musical theatre days before joining the football team. "hey it wasn't that funny. okay it was," he laughed loudly. as we got to the outside of my house i can't lie, i was upset i didn't have more time to talk to him. "Ben, how about you give me your number and we can hang out sometime?" i said holding my phone out, he took his own and passed it to me. i put my number in and passed his back to him. we stood smiling as the moon shone over us, it was so peaceful. the sounds of the night enveloped us, i could have stayed here forever. the moonlight hit his face at just the right angle, he almost looked angelic. maybe he was here to save me.

"i'll let you get to bed," he said with a sweet smile, "thank you, for spending this time we me, i appreciate it, a lot," i said, he shook his head, "trust me, i needed it too," he replied. i pull him into a quick hug, i could tell he was shocked but he accepted it gladly. i gave him another smile before walking into my house. i went to the kitchen for a drink and was shocked by the sight. "Ella? who let you in here?" i said with furrowed brows.
"i did honey," my mum smiled, of course she didn't know anything happened. for all she knew Ella was still as innocent and sweet as ever.

"what are you doing here?" i said as we walked to my back garden, "i think it's best you leave," i added. she stood with a smirk on her face, a smirk that made me want to slap her, but i was better than that now. "i just came to tell you the truth," she said, i was angry, but so upset, my best friend had done this to me. "just tell me then Ella, tell me how you used me, tell me how all no one even cares for me, all they want is to use me. tell me, please," i said with anger in my voice, a small tear rolled down my left cheek. i really was at my breaking point. "it's true, i did initially become friends with you to get closer to Kyle, but i did really like toy Mel. i really did grow a bond with you. for about a month now me and Kyle have been talking, i guess tonight was the first public show of our affection, and you just happened to be there. i think he's still in love with you Mel, but he's mine now," she said nonchalantly. "please leave," i whispered, i was on the edge. my heart was hurting and falling apart again, i could barely speak. she tried to speak again but i just shook my head, "please," i choked out. with that she nodded and left. i really was broken.

i walked to my room with a lump in my throat. after falling on to my bed i don't know why, but i was drawn to my bag. this was the bag i had taken when Kyle and i went to the wedding, the night that ended it all. he had dropped it off with James a couple of days ago, said he forgot about it. i knew i couldn't just leave it, i had to pack everything away. so i got up with a sigh and threw the clothes into a basket, i placed all of my make up into its drawers, however there was still something at the bottom of the bag. something that wasn't mine. it was a photo album, or a scrap book, i couldn't really tell.

the front of it said, 'the game of chess', it brought me back to Kyle's conversation with me about my weakness, love, and his was the same. it hurt to think he got to me that much, he saw my vulnerability. the first page was black with white writing in the middle, it said, 'it all began with a smile', i turned and there was a picture of Kyle and i on the first night we met, we were sat in his car and both had cheesy grins. what id do to feel that happy again. i continued to look through the book which contained so many photos of us, some i never knew existed. i hurt to know how it ended, how he chose someone else. the last photo was one Kyle's mum took of us the day of his cousins wedding, i really did love him, yet he hurt me so much. i turned the page and read the last quote, 'it started with a smile, but ended with the shatter of two hearts'. i held the book to my heart, i felt myself sobbing more and more. it smelt like him. it smelt like my boy. my boy who was no longer mine.