lii. desperate lies

Start from the beginning

Attempting to force a gentle smile on her face, she kisses the little girl goodnight before blowing the candle by her bedside and leaving her room, closing the door gently behind her. She halts at the opening, letting some light in to observe the tiny girl in her bed. Such a delicate and angelic being, so corrupted by the world. Vera sighs, closing the door fully, and turning around to arrive at her room and succumb to sleep herself. Silently slinking through the shadows of the moonlight and attempting to create as less noise as possible when entering her room, Vera passes Freda and Èothain's chambers, before sliding past Èowyn's chambers, and entering her own. Vera sighs once more, sliding from her door to her room in one drastic movement, and plopping on her bed with a loud groan. Turning on her backside, she stares at the ceiling with a long sigh and heavy expression.

Thoughts fill her head painfully, ramming her head with memories and recaps of the events that occurred today. As a Queen, this was her first time meeting another ruling monarch on land. It had gone better than expected, apart from the cowardly decision he had made concerning the fight of his people and the expectancy of knowing more about her race. Vera could admit that she was rather surprised by how those on land could so easily accept her true nature. No doubt, the knowledge of their existence would be made known throughout the entire Middle Earth, and maybe even beyond. The pressures of keeping her people safe and protected from the many power-hungry people of Middle Earth would be a task she'd have to embark on as High Queen. She was hoping to create alliances between her and those of Middle Earth to create bargains and protection negotiations. Rohan could be one of the first.

Vera made a mental reminder to discuss certain matters with the King of Rohan when everything was over, knowing that she needed to protect her people as soon as possible. By now, numerous realms and races would already be made aware of the mythical creatures under the sea and could be taking advantage of the situation before Vera has the chance to protect herself and her realm. She had full faith in Caspian of ensuring the Kingdom and their home to be intact and protected. Once clearing the thought in her head, Vera begins to schedule meetings between her and the King of Rohan, keeping her own Quest in mind and sparing some time to discuss and clarify certain matters with her mother and extended family by the seashore.

A groan nearly leaves Vera's mouth once her mind settles at the peculiar idea of having more family around her than she expected. Vera, admittedly, does not know as much as she should about her family; she didn't know about her mother's past, nor did she know about what happened before her and her brother was conceived. She didn't bother entertaining the idea of Evian being partly related to her, feeling some sort of disgust wash over her at the prospect of having the same blood as that monster. She is distinctly aware of the many cousins she had on her mother's side as well as numerous aunts and uncles who didn't have any children. Her father was an only child, only having extended family such as cousins and the lot.

Meanwhile, Corin's entire background was a mystery to her. Vera could barely remember how she befriended Corin but was aware of her mother finding him on the steps of the palace as a babe, a few years before Vera was even born, and was raised to become a talented and loyal subject, even becoming part of their family. If Vera and Corin were really related then their entire affair was a mistake but she was rather thankful that she didn't go far at all with the blonde man. They couldn't link his blood back to any family or heritage, showing no signs of resemblance to other merfolk families as they all shared most of the same features. After a while, Marella had dropped the case completely and let Corin train for the position of queensguard.

Vera had a strong feeling that she needed to talk to a few people. Namely, her mother and Gandalf...even Caspian if she had to. Vera, as determined and stubborn as ever, was completely tenacious in finding answers, no matter the source and hopefully true.