40; fortuitous

Oikawa stared at the envelope. The thing he wanted to have so bad when he was younger. He used to spend nights awake wondering who you were in love with, and every time Kageyama crossed his mind he got so angry he had to stand up and pace around the room.

"Is it okay if I read it later?" he said firmly against your expectations.

"Sure. It might be a little sappy so I wouldn't mind to not actually see you read it..." you mumbled a little embarrassed.

"Then it's decided ~" he hummed and you both walked home together. But you still wondered why he seemed a little down compared to earlier.

---

The next day when you arrived at the gym of your team after school - there was a yet unfamiliar person next to Kiyoko. Small, seemed a little overwhelmed, but nice.

"How come I'm never here when there's a new person joining?" you said, closing the door behind you.

"That's because you constantly skip practice!" echoed from across the gym where Kageyama was standing. "That's something you could still learn from Oikawa."

"I'm Hachi- I mean Hitoka Yachi! It's nice to meet you, let's get along!" she flubbed and you thought Hachi would kind of be a good nickname.

Meanwhile at Aoba Josai, the brunette was about to leave his classroom and head to practice when someone was blocking his way.

"Hey there, Oikawa-kun~" before him stood his ex Akuzawa holding a big paper bag.

"... I still have a girlfriend." despite his usual flirtatious nature, he was vary of this girl in particular.

"Ugh, still so conceited. I just wanted to ask you for a favor..." she pouted. "Since your girlfriend is currently taking care of my dog I wanted to at least give her food and toys and stuff... But she moved so I thought maybe you could give it to her in my place."

"If it's just that it's fine, but I can only bring it after practice." he was reaching out his hand to take the bag but she hesitated.

"Mmh, maybe I should bring it myself after all..." she spoke softly. It wasn't because it was an urgent matter or anything, but she felt it would be more appropriate to bring it herself. To show her gratitude for suddenly taking her dog in.

"She has club activities too, sometimes work... But her friend should be home." he took out his phone and searched for your number. "You can call her from my phone, ask her when you can drop by."

"Yes, that would be kind of you." she reached for the smartphone.

The contact id read 'grand queen ♡' instead of your name.

The profile picture seemed to be taken recently since Ruto was in it as well.

And she could faintly recognize the background photo, which he took back in middle school when you were sleeping. When Akuzawa was still his girlfriend she once saw this picture before, felt jealous, but couldn't delete it. After that day she kept feeling inferior to you.

While she felt a little hurt by that memory, she thought of his behavior as being so adorable that it made her smile regardless. She tapped the green button and held it towards her ear.

It rang...

And rang..........

And rang....................

And before she was about to hang up she heard the other line answering.

"Hello? Tōru?"

"No, this is Miki- Akuzawa Miki. I just wanted to bring a few things for Ruto and maybe play with him a little? We never exchanged contacts." the other line was awfully quiet, there were sounds in the background though, until...

"Say Akuzawa, how are you doing at school?"

---

Two hours later Akuzawa found herself next to Oikawa in front of your house. She rang the doorbell but no one opened the door.

You had told her on the phone that Stella should be home. At this point in time you were already on your way, running a bit late.

While both thought of what to do now, they suddenly heard someone screaming in their direction. Ruto must have spotted his owner and came running towards her, with Stella trying to catch up in vain and yelling for someone to please stop that dog.

Akuzawa kneeled down, letting the dog jump into her arms. Oikawa just watched amused how Stella slowly got closer, trying to catch a breath when she finally catched up.

"Made it at last, huh? You're in pretty bad shape if you're this exhausted from that short distance." Oikawa chuckled. But she was too exhausted to argue, so she just punched him at which he yelped surprised.

She staggered towards the door, unlocking and leaving it open for the two to follow. Afterwards she just collapsed onto the couch.

"Short he said" she huffed in between breaths "I was worried Ruto runs away" "I tried to run as fast as I can" "geeeez"

Oikawa placed four cups on the table before her along with a pitcher full with tea. He filled three of them, waiting with the last one until you came home.