Chapter Two

I felt a light shake. I opened my eyes to meet his face up all in mine. He brushed my cheek.
Ndaba: I'm going to work.
Me: What time is it? Did you eat?
Ndaba: I'll grab something on the way don't worry. I love you.
Me: I love you.
He kissed my lips and off he went. I sat upright and leaned on the headboard. I am tired. I took my phone to check up on Lacy but it went to voicemail. I wouldn't be surprised if she blocked my calls. I went to WhatsApp. There was tons of messages from the group chat of housewives, which is us, Ndaba and his friends wives. Nobuhle the self righteous married to Sphiwe, Naomi prayer warrior married to Njabulo, Zintle the whatever engaged to Bonke. We can't add any of Kabelo's ladies because they never stick around. I wouldn't say we're friends, we get along very well though. We discuss just common things and how our men are working hard for us. We never really talk about our personal issues.

I ran my eyes on the messages until I saw the one about meeting later today. I am really not in the mood to go anywhere. Naomi is hosting.

I got out of bed and went to pee. I came back and RSVP. They all start complaining about how quiet I have been. Don't people talk only when they have something to say? I'm mostly uninterested about things they usually discuss here.

I went downstairs to make breakfast. I ate while watching tv. Tebogo came in as I took my plate to the kitchen.
Tebogo: I guess I'm late. I was told to go buy and bring this.
He placed the Dona Donuts paperbag on the counter.
Me: Thanks.
He narrowed his eyes and grinned.
Me: And I don't appreciate the way you look at me lately.
Tebogo: Which is?
Me: Lazy eyes, smirks and that incident of walking into my bathroom, even now you bought me donuts. My husband doesn't let me eat anything with so much sugar. So who told you to buy and bring this?
He laughed.
Tebogo: Okay you got me. About the look, I'm sorry. Its truly innocent. I saw how you were last night I thought you'd love donuts to cheer up.
Me: Thanks. I am okay now.
Tebogo: Any plans for the day?
Me: Yes. I am going to Noami's.
Tebogo: Oh let me just camp here and wait to drive you.
Me: My car is still new. I don't mind driving myself around. Let me go shower.
Tebogo: Did Ndaba approve?
Me: He did. Have a good day Tegogo.
He smiled but stopped quickly.
Lunga: You too ma'am.

I walked up. I could feel his eyes accompanying me. I stopped and turned.
Me: Oh my God.
Tebogo: I'm sorry. I swear to God I wasn't watching you.

He turned quickly and walked away. I've never seen someone so brave to drool over Ndaba's wife.

-
One thing I truly love about Naomi is that she's down to earth. With all the money she's still humble and doesn't show off. Going to her home gives courage. You feel at home. I rang the door bell, yes her door has a bell and we use it. Mine rusted due to people never using it because they are so free they just walk in.

She opened and opened her arms for a hug, her belly touched me first. We laughed.
Me: I hope your baby bag is ready wherever it is.
Naomi: It is. I am so over being pregnant.

She is a mother of 4 expecting the 5th one. I don't know if she ever heard of birth control but sometimes I really wish my womb was as friendly as hers. She has an 18 year old Khwali and then 7,5, and 3. I want kids but not as many.
Me: Is Njabulo gonna be in the room this time?
Naomi: I am hoping so. Let me go to the loo. The ladies are at the back.

I put the bottle of wine in the table on my way out. I don't know what's more appropriate to bring other than wine. She is gonna need it after giving birth, lots of it.

Me: Good day ladies.
They were busy blubbering. They stopped and looked my way.
Them: Hey.
Zee: I had concluded you were not coming.
Me: I was thinking of not coming actually
Buhle: And what changed?
Me: I needed some fresh air.