chapter-20

Scent of oil mixed with burnt rubber filled the air as a lanky man appeared at the doorway.

Faded jeans that hung low over his long torso had seen better days just like worn out shirt beneath a prominent cross that was dangling from a chain around his neck.

The freckles on his face gave out his age to which his serious gaze added more effect.

King sprinted up on his feet with a grunt as his tied up hands made him fall on one side but his elbows supported his weight up and let his feet do the job.

I sat frozen in my spot with eyes stuck on that man. Nothing but evil emanated his stance as he stepped inside and closed the door shut behind him before folding his hands on his back.

"You didn't have to make this dramatic entry, Jay." King drawled with much calmness.

I looked at him to see if he actually was this calm but his eyes firmly set on the man didn't give away anything.

Maybe he was!

The other man simply ignored king and settled his eyes on me. They narrowed in mild recognition or interest, I couldn't tell for sure.

My mind had long lost the proper thinking ability.

I gripped the band and ran my thumb over it nervously afraid to make any move in case he gets mad.

"Lately you've been more...outspoken." unlike that man named Jay's appearance, his voice came out authoritative.

I held me breath.

King casually looked down at the clutched hands and tilted his head, "seriously though?"

Jay's eyelid twitched uncharacteristically and amusement started coming out of king in huge laps.

King shouldn't encourage this man's anger!

Who knows what this man is capable of.

But maybe he does know that. After all I heard king using this name that day in the parking lot.

"What I want you to know is that," man took just a couple of steps forward that this cubical allowed, stopping few feet shorter than king," I've been waiting for you in the wing last night. Guess you never showed up for the race."

"So you decided to pull this crap on me?" Calmness gone, king's voice held a sharp edge now as he waved his tied wrists in front of Jay's eyes.

" you need to calm down," Jay switched roles, holding the key to king's strings momentarily, "you know that I work on my instincts," he grabbed kings hands and lowered them from his eye level," cause they never betray me."

"I never betrayed you."

"Says who?" Jay retorted in a flash and locked king with his stare.

Something unspoken passed between them.

Then the man turned around. His gaze found me. A flash of grin which soon turned into a cackle as if recognizing an old friend after years, "I expected something much tougher than this," he tsked and regarded king again, " I'm quite disappointed at this dove."

My eyes furrowed.

What on earth is this stand of a man going on about?

"Don't." King ground his teeth.

It earned a raise in man's bushy eyebrows that looked too big on long triangular face, "That deep, huh?"

In a flash king was nose to nose with the man, holding his shirt in merciless grip, " Don't push my fucking buttons, Jay. " he hissed.