ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 32

"KATHERINE

"KATHERINE...KATH," a hand on her shoulders, and soft voice next to her ear, shook Katherine out of her trance.

"Huh?" The vampire asked, looking at a concerned Hayley.

"Are you alright?" The Labonair wolf inquired with a frown, as she didn't she the doppelganger so distracted before. Because Katherine is someone who is always on her toes, aware of her surroundings.

"Yeah," Katherine nodded her head, taking a deep breath. "Just...thinking."

"About...Elena?" Hayley asked, cocking her head to side.

"Yeah," Katherine confessed, "It just feels...so surreal. I never thought she would just stay dead. I really thought she will come back to life, and everything just goes back to the way it was."

"Well, I didn't really know her," Hayley said, taking a seat beside Katherine on the Salvatore's couch. "But...It's her decision, so..."

"Has she lost her bloody mind," Caroline said, in an incredulous tone.

"I tried telling her," Jeremy began, "But she is saying it's her decision. And that for once she wants to decide for herself."

"Well, there is a reason we decide," Damon scoffed, "Because look what type of decisions she is making. This just proves my point."

Stefan raised a hand and paused his brother's angry retort. He simply looked at Jeremy and swallowed his tears before asking, "where is she?"

Jeremy raised his hand and pointed into the empty space beside Stefan. The younger Salvatore turned to the said directions and questioned. "Why do you want to do this, Elena. Why do you want to die at 18? You still have a whole life ahead of you. You didn't even graduate. What about Jeremy and Jenna. Are you just gonna leave them?" Stefan's voice cracked by the end of it. "What about me...us?"

"She is saying, it's the right thing to do," Jeremy said, looking at the empty space, reciting whatever Elena is saying. "She said this is what's right for everyone. That, she should have died months ago in that accident along with our parents. But you saved her and showed her an epic love. She is saying it's okay and that Jenna and I have all of you to look after us."

The younger Gilbert was in tears, "She is saying, she would rather stay dead, and find peace than be a reason for our problems."

"It's not your fault, Elena. None of this is your fault," Bonnie said, shaking his head vehemently.

"She is saying it is her fault. Her fault that Bonnie's mother left, and it would be her fault if she comes back at the expense of bonnie's grandmother's peace," Jeremy began...

...As Elena recited, "I don't care if I didn't get to live the happy life I dreamed of. It would always be in my conscience that everything that's happened, and will happen...they happen because of me."