26 | Welcome to my Reasons

Chapter Twenty-Six: Welcome to my Reasons

"there is no fear now
let go and just be free
I will love you unconditionally,"
~ katy perry

M O N I C A

"That's ugly," I muttered to myself as I continued to scroll through IKEA furniture on their site. "Who in their right mind buys that?"

An ugly yellow cabinet filled my laptop screen seconds later, and I literally gagged. Who would want a piece of furniture the colour of bright yellow? It made my piss stained uniform at Mel's look fancy.

"You look beautiful," Liam's voice whispered in my head, recalling how he complimented me, even in the ugly dress.

The thought of him brought memories of what happened a few days back at the station. He'd been staring at me, speechless as his lips opened and closed consistently.

After what felt like minutes, he found his voice and spoke up. "Your mom's sick. Her face was blue and she was throwing up at Mel's. I drove her home," he rushed out. Both Chris and I stiffened at hearing that and without thought, I reared back and walked to Chris' car.

I didn't give Liam a second look as we drove away, only to realize that when we got home, mom was in on it.

Fucking bitches. All of them.

Buses were also filled for the next week, so I spent the first two days looking through furniture for my apartment. I decided to step out today and head to the coffee shop for a change of scenery, even though I'd be doing the same thing.

I sipped my iced coffee, despite it being almost December. I didn't look away from my screen as I did so, leaning against my plastic seat.

"Hey," a voice said, bringing my attention off my computer.

Slowly, I looked up and met Xavier's dark eyes. He stood on the other side of the small table in front of me, clenching the chair. "Hi..." I drawled out blandly.

He cleared his throat as he pulled the chair away from the table, sitting on the seat soon after. I watched him warily as I closed my laptop, raising my brows in the process. "How can I help you?"

As he looked away, tightening his lips, I eyed his appearance. He sat in front of me with his hair in a beanie, his facial hair slightly longer than it had been back in June. He wore a grey sweater and jeans, along with a black peacoat, looking slightly formal.

"Your pleasantries are immaculate, Mon," he rolled his eyes with a small smile.

"Didn't know you knew the word pleasantries, since you don't have any," I retorted, crossing my arms with a challenge.

He laughed in response before nodding. "I didn't expect to see you around," he commented, cocking his head to the side. "Meredith said you'd be leaving town a few days back."

"Plans changed," I muttered, looking to my now closed computer. "I'm leaving soon though."

When he didn't respond, I focused back on him, only to see his jaw clenched as he nodded once. "So were you just gonna leave without saying anything to me? Both times?"

"I don't owe you anything, Xavier," I told him soberly. "Did you really expect for me to tell you anything?"

He sighed, and I watched as both of his fists clenched on top of the table. "I thought after what I did to Kevin, betraying him—"