11 | Welcome to the Party

Chapter Eleven: Welcome to the Party

"my life is what I'm fighting for,
can't part the sea, can't reach the shore,"
~ avril lavigne

M O N I C A

   The sun was warming my skin to the point where I literally felt like I was sizzling. A person could crack an egg on my stomach and I wouldn't be surprised if it cooked.

    Despite the burning sensation, I laid on my towel, hoping for the best glow after I finished. I must have been tanning for two hours, but I recently flipped myself so I was lying on my back.

   When I woke up this morning, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the sun had been out, finally. The weather here in Lake Wisken seemed to aim toward cloudy skins, so when the sun finally decided to peer through them... I had to take advantage of it.

   I actually woke up as early as ten-thirty, making myself iced coffee before walking to the one and only lake in our town. The towel under me didn't cushion the floor as much, but I wasn't one to be picky.

   While music played from my wireless earphones, I kept my eyes closed with content. But just when the song finished, followed by a pause of silence, I ended up catching the sound of branches cracking.

   My body instantly went on alert as I shot up, removing my earphones before standing up in nothing but my bikini. I looked intimidating, I know.

   When I looked to the forest in front of me, my eyes swept between the trees, only to clench my jaw when I saw who was walking in my direction. "What the fuck are you doing?" I hissed, seeing Xavier stepping out from the trees. He was probably ten feet from me, his dark brown eyes wide.

   His hair was styled as it usually was, and he was in his police uniform. When I looked down, I noticed him clenching a handgun. "Xavier..." I mumbled, keeping my eyes on the gun. He must have understood where I was getting at because within seconds, he shoved the gun in the waistband of his pants.

   I finally looked up, glaring in his direction before bending down to reach for the strapless romper I wore on my way to the lake. "Want to explain what the fuck you're doing here?"

   He smiled hesitantly before looking around the woods. Once his gaze returned to me, he looked over my now covered body, towel and gym bag—which I used to carry my things here.

   "I really can't," he confessed when I continued to narrow my eyes on him.

   "Fuck you. You mean you won't," I spat out, crossing my arms. "Why were you trying to sneak up on me?"

   His eyes widened as he shook his head rapidly. "No! I didn't," he clenched his jaw before looking to his side. He remained silent for a few moments before releasing a defeated sigh. "You're so fucking reckless, you know that right?"

   My eyes widened at his statement. "Sorry, did I ask for your opinion?" I snapped, moving my hands to my hips. "How, in what fucking way, am I being reckless? I'm tanning, Xavier, not everyone has a natural glow."

   He cussed under his breath, and I watched as his chest expanded while taking a sharp breath of air. "You remember the drug cartel?" His words made my body react instantly as I stiffened. He looked satisfied by my response before nodding stiffly. "Yeah, well, we've been seeing more drugs around and the people we've caught aren't spilling who the supplier is."

   I waited, knowing there was more by how tight his lips were pulled. So when he didn't continue, I raised my brows. "And?"

   "And what?"