1 | Welcome Miss Kelly

Chapter One: Welcome, Miss Kelly

"undo this hurt you caused when you walked
out the door and walked out of my life,"
~ toni braxton

M O N I C A

Sometimes, I wonder what's my problem.

No, seriously.

Closing myself off always seemed to be the best course of action, and I didn't hold a second thought when I did so.

But then, I would simply find comfort in my loneliness. Hey, I could talk to the ghosts swirling in my mind.

Fuck, I swear I'm not crazy.

My head leaned against the bus window while my eyes lazily looked outside as we passed the town sign. But the road grew bumpy, causing me to hiss out a cuss before sitting up straight.

Lake Wisken. Was there a lot of lakes? No. Just the one close to town. But we did have a shit load of mountains around us, and a hell of a lot of trees. At one point, it was home. Our own little town in Wyoming. With a population a bit over four thousand though, it was safe to say I didn't know everyone, but I knew those who wanted to be known.

Automatically, I tilted my head up, looking around the bus. There was three other people on the bus besides me, but I doubt they were getting off here. It was a pit stop for them, before heading to where they wanted to go to.

At one point, I found this damn town home, but that was years ago, and now I'm dreading to return.

But seeing that I currently had no where else to go, I needed to settle for a bit before finding out where my feet needed to land.

A few minutes passed before the driver stopped in the middle of town, nodding once in my direction when I thanked him for driving the last few hours. The second I stepped out of the bus, he pressed on the gas, probably needing to get the hell away from this place.

The clouds were grey, but not dark enough that you'd assume there'd be a thunderstorm. This was typical weather here-gloomy. Sad. It matched my feelings.

My right hand clenched my large black suitcase while I shifted the gym bag over my shoulder. Once it was laying comfortably, I began to walk through town, keeping my head down for the next fifteen or so minutes.

My street was filled with a mix of bungalows and two-story houses. My family home was by the end of the street, an average size bungalow with three bedrooms.

I found myself stunned to see that the landscape was properly done. The lawn out front was covered in green grass, recently cut, with a single garage space next to the house. The outside was designed with beige bricks and large windows, but instead of being able to see inside, the blinds were shut.

I sighed, pulling my... former apartment keys out of my pocket. Attached to it was the keys to the home, so I quickly unlocked the door before allowing myself to step inside. The air conditioning was on, to no surprise. My older brother was naturally a warm person, so the fact it was pretty hot in the middle of June, he needed a safe place to cool off.

My eyes roamed around the house, seeing that not much changed. The deep red couches were on the left of the entrance, pressed against the wall with the television across it. That was new. It must have recently been replaced.