Prologue

Aurora was mad. She was absolutely furious. This was no way to treat a seven year old silver wolf, or any wolf, or any seven year old of any species!

Snarling with fury, Aurora slammed again and again on the bars of her little cage. She was trying to get out without using the special thing that Juniper had always called her 'problem'. Then she heard voices and pricked her husky-like ears.

"I'll give it to you for eight fifty."
"Make it two ten and you got a deal."
The female voice sounded angry now, and Aurora grinned. "I want this wolf in a zoo. Take it and lock it up."
"You want me to lose all my money?"

Aurora was tempted to go human, but instead she covered her ears with her paws. She had no idea what was happening, nor what would happen to her. With a muffled cry of annoyance she threw herself against the bars.

Don't use your power, don't use your power... she told herself again and again. But she used it anyway. Her eyes widened as she saw Juniper and Domino through a fuzzy tunnel. Domino was lying on his back with Juniper over him.

The words and speech were muffled but Aurora managed to pick up bits and pieces. But she didn't like what she heard.

"Ahhh!"
"Save him, save him first!"
"Human antidote!"

Aurora panicked as a big rogue burst into the room with something. Another rogue shoved it into a cut on Domino's arm. Both June and him were screaming. The vision grew fuzzier and then blinked out altogether.

Aurora became aware that she was smashing on her cage again. This wasn't natural, none of this was natural! She had to get back to her family!

Domino and Juniper were in grave danger from rogues, she just knew it. Aurora right then decided that he would either have to use the second part of her gift, or speak. She decided on the second part.

Coarse spotted fur erupted from the young girl's body. Curved fangs grew from her mouth, and her long wolf's tail snapped out into a thin leopard's tail.

With claws like meat hooks, Aurora tore apart the cage and scrambled out. Then she turned and hissed at the people, her sensitive whiskers drawn back and yellow eyes gleaming.

The older man swore. "That's not a wolf." he whispered, pointing at Aurora. "That- That is a leopard."

The woman wasted no time in lunging at Aurora, but the cat was too quick. She dodged on large white paws and streaked off into the night. Her ears were pricked, and she listened as the woman stopped following her and turned back.

"I want that animal. I need that animal." the older man spat. Aurora watched as he collared the woman who had been holding her cage.

"Get me that animal or you will have war." He snarled. Aurora flattened her ears as he kept talking.

"I have kept your secret, Mercy." He said gently but fiercely. "Find me that creature, and your pack, all the wolves in Nightingale will be safe."

"Ben, I can kill you with one swipe." Mercy said regally. But she didn't move a muscle.

"We both know you can't afford to." Ben said. His laughs echoed fainter and fainter as walked away. Aurora's heart leaped into her throat and she bounded through the trees, her leopard pelt hiding her in the foliage.

Seconds later, wolf howls rose above the trees, long and angry and thirsty for blood.