11 | Welcome to the Party

Start from the beginning

   Motherfucker. I really had to spill it out for him. "Why the fuck are you in the woods? Let me guess, you're actually a chipmunk and you're looking for nuts."

   He rolled his eyes. "We caught some people selling around here. I wanted to see if there was a trade going on now," he explained, stepping closer to me. It wasn't long before he was only a foot away, smiling at me sadly. "It's not safe being around here, Monnie."

    I hated how my heart sped up at the thought of being associated with the cartel again. But just as my thoughts were beginning to drown in fear, I felt Xavier's hand on my shoulder, snapping my attention back to his gaze. "I won't let anything happen to you," he swore, tightening his hold on me before letting go.

   Surprised by his confession, I stood there confused. I watched as his eyes dropped to the gym bag, pursing his lips. "Isn't that Kevin's?" He asked, making me drop my eyes to the bag next to my feet.

   "Yeah," I said blankly. The thought of him caused my fists to clench, but I made sure my expression was kept neutral.

   Xavier met my eyes moments later, wearing a frown. "He gave it to you?"

   I was ready to blurt out that I stole it, like the inconsiderate bitch I was. But honestly, I always used it more than him. "It was basically mine to begin with."

   He nodded as he looked to his feet, licking his upper teeth, by the way his mouth moved. "What happened between you both anyway?" He asked. I was surprised he lasted, not asking me that question, since it'd been almost two months since I returned to town.

   "You didn't ask your boyfriend that question?" I asked, arching a brow. The two of them were thick as thieves in high school. I wasn't exactly sure if they kept in touch after I moved to Colorado because I really didn't care.

   He clenched his jaw as he took a deep breath. "Monica, come—" I raised my brows, which stopped him from continuing. "Kevin loved you," he deadpanned.

   "Congratulations to him," I nodded once.

   A groan left him as he rubbed his jaw. "Last I talked to him, he said all was good between you guys," he admitted, and I almost laughed. They must have talked a long time ago.

   Probably realizing that he wouldn't be getting answers from me, he tightly smiled. "Can I give you a ride back to town? I gotta get back to the station anyways."

   I nodded and grabbed my things. "Shouldn't Ronen be with you?" I asked, remembering how Liam's flirtatious friend was partners with Xavier.

   "He had something to do," he explained vaguely, making my brows furrow.

   Not bothering to ask any more questions—because I really wasn't interested—I allowed him to guide us through the woods before walking to his cruiser. "I can't believe you walked all the way here," he shook his head as I sat in the passenger seat.

   "I don't mind a walk," I told him truthfully. Dad and I used to walk long lengths before finding the perfect spot to stargaze.

   When Xavier sat next to me, he turned on the ignition and began to drive back to town. "You excited for tomorrow?" He asked after a few minutes.

   "Yeah, I guess," I shrugged, looking out the window to watch the trees. Sophie's party would be tomorrow, and for the last week, drinking seemed too appealing.

   When I tilted my head so I could stare at him, I couldn't help but admire his side profile. "What are you thinking about drinking?" He smirked, looking at me in the corner of his eye. He must have felt my gaze, which could have explained the teasing look he was sending me.