Chapter 35

Charlie's POV
I was waiting in the judges chamber with Hannah. We were waiting for the judge to come in and Hannah was pretty nervous. She was sitting on the couch clutching Ellie and shaking. "Hey sweetheart, it's okay. Nothing bad is going to happen hear Hannah. The judge just wants to ask you some questions that's all," I said to her softly. "Hannah left out a little whimper but looked a little more relaxed. A couple seconds later the judge walked in, "hello Hannah. How are you doing today?" he asked gently as he sat down on the couch opposite of us. "O-okay," she said nervously. "Is there anything I can get you sweetie? Some water? Or I have some juice too, if you like," he asked her. Hannah just shook her head no. "Okay well you let me know if you change your mind," he said to her. "Hannah do you know why you are here?" the judge asked Hannah. "My Daddy and Papa said you decide when I get to go home," Hannah said shyly. "That's right, I decide if you live with Freddie and Alan or with Sandy," the judge said. "What? W....why would live with Sandy," Hannah said in a panic. "Shh shhh it's okay, Hannah," I said as I rubbed her arm. To my surprise Hannah latched onto me and nuzzled into my chest. I was a little taken back as Hannah was never this affectionate with me. I'm sure the judge picked up on it as it took me a minute to react. I hesitated a bit but I embraced Hannah in my arms and continued to soothe her. "Hannah, it's okay, it's okay honey. Take some deep breaths for me Hannah," I said as I rubbed her back. "Okay Hannah honey why don't we back up a bit," the judge said. "Did your Daddy and Papa tell you why you are here? Why you are staying with Jack and Annie?" the judge asked. "They said that it's because some people think they shouldn't be my Daddy and Papa. That it's because some people think that they aren't a good Daddy and Papa. They said that they had to tell you why they should be my Daddy and Papa and why I should go back home," Hannah said as she sniffed. "Okay, sweetie. Yes that's exactly right. Now a lot of people came and told me why you should go back and live with Daddy and Papa. Your teachers, Charlie, your Nana, Grandpa, Auntie Mia, and lots of other people told me why you should go back and live with Daddy and Papa. But I didn't get to talk to you Hannah. Hannah I would like you to tell me where you would like to live," the judge asked her softy. "I- I wanna go home. With Daddy and Papa," Hannah said letting go of me. "Do you like living with Daddy and Papa sweetheart?" the judge asked gently to which Hannah nodded her head. "Can you tell me what you like living with them sweetheart?" the judge prompted. "Daddy and Papa take good care of me. They never are mean to me or hurt me. They make me feel better when I'm sick and scared. And they give me lots of cuddles," Hannah said. Both the judge and I were touched by Hannah's words. Hannah was describing everything a parent should be. At this point I would be utterly shocked if he didn't send her home with Freddie and Alan.

"Hannah I need you to ask you an important question okay. Now this question might upset you a little bit but it's really important okay?" the judge asked. Hannah nodded her head and let out a little whimper. "Now sweetheart, can you tell me a little bit about Ms. Sandy?" he began. Hannah let out a little bit of a whimper. "I don't like her. She's mean," Hannah said with a shaky voice. "How was she mean to you sweetheart," I prompted her. "She used to yell at me when I got something wrong. I was really really sleepy but she wouldn't let me go to sleep. And she took Ellie away one time, and...." Hannah stopped halfway through her sentence and began to tear up. "And...." she tried again but looked at me with hesitation. "Hannah, what is it sweetheart? It's okay," I encouraged her. "One time, she was mad a me because I wasn't getting it right. I really had to go potty but she said I couldn't until I got it right. But I couldn't help it and I had an accident. I didn't mean to," Hannah cried. I was infuriated by what I had just heard, how could Sandy had been so cruel to someone as fragile as Hannah. She never cared about Hannah; all Hannah was to her was a research specimen. "Hannah honey, it's okay. That wasn't your fault, it was an accident sweetie," I said to her. She opted to clutch onto me again and she sobbed. "That's all I need to hear, I'm ready to make my decision," the judge. "Hannah, you did very well. You were very brave pumpkin," he said softly to her.

"Why don't you take her to Jack and Annie. I'll be calling everyone else in the courtroom to make my decision," the judge said to me before he walked out.