Chapter 27

Annie POV
Hannah had been with us for about  five days. In those past five days she has not said a word and hasn't moved from the living room. As much as I hated it, she was sleeping on the couch every night. I tried to get her to go into her room but every time I tried to walk up to her she pushed me away. It broke my heart to see how traumatized this girl was and it made me angry that her parents did this to her. What kind of people took in an abused child in just to bring her more pain and heartache. She must have been living in an awful environment for her to be this terrified. I knew that Jack and I had a lot of work to do get Hannah more comfortable with us but I knew we were up for the task.

Even though she never said a word I still talked to her in an effort to get her more comfortable with us. Jack and I were sitting on the couch and while Hannah was curled up on the other one, I started asking her questions just to try to get her to open up. I asked her about her school, about her friends, her favorite color but no answer. I was on the subject of nicknames when I asked, "Hannah, would it be okay if I called you Hannhie? It kind of sounds like Ma..... uh, my name, don't you think?"  Jack turned to me and gave me a judgmental look. "How about we just stick with Hannah for now?" Jack said. "I think it's time for Annie and I to make some lunch, we'll be in the kitchen Hannah," Jack said before dragging me away. "Annie what are you doing?" Jack said in a quiet but stern tone. "What do you mean?" I asked. "You know exactly what I mean, you almost referred to your self as her Mama back there," Jack replied. "Jack it just slipped out, besides I am technically her foster mother," I bit back. "Annie we're not her parents. She's eventually going back to her real parents." Jack said. "Not if I can help it, Jack you see what they did to her, she's terrified. Why should they get her back?" I said. "So what you want to keep her now? Annie from what she told me her parents have been good to her," Jack said. "What she told you? Jack she hasn't said a word," I said. "She has when you're not around. When she's not bombarded with questions. She told me her parents sing her to sleep when she has a nightmare," Jack said. "What? How did you get her to tell you that?" I asked. "She had a nightmare the other night, she was asking for her Daddy and Papa. She told her her Daddy sings her to sleep when she has a bad dream so I sang to her," Jack said. "Oh see Jack she's already getting more comfortable here," I said. "Annie you're missing the point," Jack said. Before I was able to respond to Jack, the phone rang. I answered and it was Emily, "Hello Annie? I wanted to update you on the court proceedings. Hannah's parents had their pretrial today. The judge decided to go ahead with the trial given that Hannah's case is considered high risk because of the abuse she endured in her past. The judge decided to go ahead with the trial but Freddie and Alan  were granted visitation rights for once a week. Understandably, they wanted to see her as soon as possible and we all plan on coming over in a couple of hours. I know it's sudden but they are desperate to see her," Emily said. "Oh okay, are you sure there isn't any way to change their mind to give us some more time? I mean I'm just thinking about what's best for Hannah. I don't know if it would be best for her to see them so soon," I said. "I don't think there is any chance of changing their mind," Emily said. "Okay, we'll see you all in a couple of hours," I said. "Who was that?" Jack asked. "It was Emily. Hannah's parents will be over in a few hours to visit," I sighed. "That's great, I'm sure she'll be happy to see them," Jack replied. "Jack I don't know if this is such a good idea I mean what if seeing her parents makes things worse. What if they make her want to go home more?" I said. "Annie she's going to want to home no matter what, she wants her parents," Jack said. "No, I mean we don't know what that house was like, maybe she's scared of them," I said. "Annie, she misses them, it will probably be good for her to see them. Besides it's not up to us, it's up to the court," Jack replied. "I know, I just wish we had more time,"  I said. "How about we wait to tell her? I mean I we don't want her to fixate on it too much," I suggested. "Yeah you might be right about that," Jack said.