Crazy Happenings

It's funny, how when something shocking happens, a few seconds can feel like minutes; or a few days could feel like weeks. It had only been two days since that bastard four-eyes had shown me that photo, and in that time I had been avoiding Blake like the plague. Even in normal classes where we would sit next to each other, I'd purposely come late, using my ankle and crutches as an excuse, and sit at the back of the class. Even at the cafeteria, I would get my food and eat outside instead of at our usual table with the rest of my friends.

Everything seemed like it was going in slow motion. People's conversations were a blur in my mind now as it was constantly projecting that photo; reminding me of why I was being so antisocial.

"Jesse?"

Ignoring the call, I continued manoeuvring through the packed halls, heading towards my room where I would stay until tomorrow morning.

"Jesse!"

A warm object clasped itself onto my shoulder, stopping me moving forward and spun me around slowly so I wouldn't trip on my crutches. Slowly, my eyes wondered up the familiar uniform so similar to mine, and up to familiar blue eyes hidden by square glasses.

"Jesse, for God's sake, tell me what's going on with you!" Kalem shouted; his eyes pleading as they searched my empty ones.

"There's nothing..." My automated response began to play when a sharp pain drilled through my cheek.

Stepping back, almost using my bad ankle, I stood completely shocked. Almost instantly I began to be filled with rage as I turned back to the irritating bastard before me.

"What the hell was that for, you jerk?!" I shouted at him; startling several people who were still making their way from classes.

"Don't get mad at me!" He snapped back; his usually calm exterior obliterated now; swapped out with a flustered boy who I barely recognised. "Everyone was so relieved you were out of the infirmary, and then suddenly you were a walking puppet with no emotions!"

I blinked a few times, taking in what he was trying to say. I mean sure, I'd been down and antisocial, but was I really that bad?

"Please, tell me what happened," he pleaded; his eyes begging once again.

"I just saw something I wish I could unsee," I murmured softly, avoiding his eyes.

"It's that photo of Blake, isn't it?" Kalem growled, clenching his fists angrily.

I stared, open jawed, as I realised that even he knew about it. That just made me angry.

"Are you telling me everyone knew about this?! Yet no one told me? And no one seems to care?!" I hissed at him.

"We all agreed not to tell you," Kalem nodded, keeping his voice steady and calm. "Or Blake,"

"Wait," I rubbed the bridge of my nose to relieve the headache forming from the constant change in emotion, "So, Blake doesn't know that you guys know?"

"No," Kalem explained. "Because we didn't want him feeling bad about it,"

"But why..."

"Except me," Kalem continued. "I decided to find out the truth as to why he would go behind the back of the girl he's been claiming to love. So I found out the truth,"

"What would that be?" I hesitantly asked.

Did I want to know that he had gotten sick of waiting? That he found someone else? Someone... Better?

"That is not for me to tell," Kalem replied, shrugging apologetically. "If you really want to know, you'll find out yourself,"

I hung my head and nodded. But if I approached Blake, how would I react? There was no way I could ask him about it. For all I knew, he could lie and say it was nothing.