Challenges, Challenges and more Challenges

I stood in front of the mirror, staring down at my body. My hair had been permed and pulled up into a messy-yet-stylish bun, my bangs caressing the sides of my cheeks, encasing my face. My green eyes were surrounded by simple green eye shadow and black mascara and eyeliner. My lips were coated in red lipstick, making them more profound.

I looked down at my body, staring at the long, blue silk dress that hugged my waist and then fell down in ripples to the floor, the material creating a circle around my feet. Looking up into the mirror again, I saw three pairs of eyes staring back at me. The bodies of the three pairs of eyes were all dressed in black suits, all almost identical to each other.

All three of them held out a hand towards me, grinning like fools.

“Let’s go, Jesse,” the tallest murmured to me, causing me to blush.

I stretched out my perfectly manicured hand towards them, butterflies moving around in my stomach at what I was about to actually do.

And then I woke up.

“Oh god,” I wheezed, sweat pouring off my body as I sat up abruptly.

“What’s goin’ on?” Emily murmured from below me, sounding tired.

“I just had a nightmare,” I breathed.

“What nightmare?” she yawned.

“I was dressed like a… a… a… princess, and there were three guys…” I stopped there and tried to keep my face from burning red as I remembered who those three actually were.

“That doesn’t sound so bad, why are you complaining?” Emily asked.

“This is me we’re talking about. Do you remember the last time I wore a dress?” I snapped back.

“That was fun,” she giggled darkly.

“Just because you ended up meeting your boyfriend properly for the first time,” I muttered under my breath.

“Shut up,” she snapped back, getting out of bed. “At least I have a stable relationship. You’ve got what, twenty guys after you?”

“That’s an exaggeration!” I whined, burrowing my head into my pillow.

“Hardly, do you want me to name all of them?” she asked, rummaging in the wardrobe for clothes. “There’s Kalem, and Blake, and…”

“That’s enough Emily, seriously, stop,” I groaned. “Don’t remind me of what a complicated love life I have right now,”

“Someone has to remind you,” she shrugged. “Now hurry up and get dressed, don’t you have some sort of meeting to go to?”

“Shh! I want to try and pretend to forget so I don’t have to go!” I hissed.

“You know someone will come in and drag you away in your pajamas if you don’t go yourself,” Emily retorted.

“Don’t crush my hopes woman!” I cried, sitting up and hugging the pillow to my chest.

“That’s part of my job as your best friend,” she smirked. “Now get your ass in the shower,”

“You’re so not my mother,” I glared.

“No, but I can easily get her to come and tell you herself,”

“Alright, fine, I’m going, I’m going,” I sighed, sliding off my bunk bed and over to the wardrobe to grab some clothes.

“Have I ever told you how much I hate you?” I asked.

“All the time, but I know it’s a lie so don’t worry about hurting my feelings,” Emily said, stripping off her pajama shirt and throwing on an old t-shirt.