One Hell of a Trial

Stepping through the large double doors, we found ourselves in a spacious room that was still far smaller than the last two we had been in. Looking around, I realised the amount of people had gone down by at least 75%, proving just how difficult those trials actually were.

We were instructed to wait around until Amare came through to announce and judge the final few tests of the day. From what we gathered, this would be another 20 or so minutes and for that time, we tried to remain inconspicuous.

Like that worked.

“Can you believe there’s still so many of them left?”

“Do you think they cheated?”

“What sort of a school do they go to? Some really posh one for sure,”

Whispers and murmurs were flying around and bouncing off the walls at us as we stood towards the back of the room. Everywhere we looked there were cold glares and worried glances.

“This doesn’t look good,” Hayden murmured under his breath.

“No one’s going to stop until they defeat us,” Blake nodded stiffly.

“Eradicate more like,” Harrison mumbled.

“We need to keep an eye out for anyone who looks like they’re responsible for sabotage,” Kalem whispered.

“Everyone does at the moment,” I mumbled.

“I don’t know about you guys,” Emily murmured to us. “But I’d look for girls that look like they hate you, as well as their butlers,”

“Why?” I asked.

“Most of the girls here are looking at you like you’re the hottest ones out there,” she said softly. “And I think some of them have already recognized you from the magazine,”

Oh crap.

“She’s right,” Patrick nodded, scanning the room. “Most girls are looking at us like that,”

Taking a look myself, I suddenly realised why signals were going off in the run-or-you-might-be-kidnapped-by-fan-girls area of my brain. But one particular group caught my attention the most.

Why?

Because they weren’t looking at us at all.

“Kalem,” I murmured under my breath, dipping my head over in the direction of that group.

He nodded and nudged Patrick, whispering something in his ear; gesturing discretely over there as well. After a court nod from Patrick, he swiftly left and headed towards the gents. I raised an eyebrow at Kalem who just grinned, winking at me.

Sighing inwardly, and turned to my brother, who was looking around worriedly.

“Calm down a little,” I smiled, taking his hand and squeezing it gently. “Everything will be okay,”

“What if I stuff up?” he asked. “What if people… find out?” he whispered the last part so only I could hear it.

“You’ll be fine, okay?” I said, shaking his shoulders. “Stay calm, and we’ll get through this,”

“Yeah, alright then,” he smiled, giving me a hug. “Only a few more hours, right?”

“Exactly,” I murmured, pulling back and smiling.

Suddenly Patrick appeared beside us, his eyes saying something entirely different from the kind smile plastered on his face.

“Are you enjoying yourselves so far in the competition?” he asked.