29. Birth

Saad had arrived last night. It had taken him longer than the usual six hours thanks to the February foggy nights. Mahrukh would be going into labour in a few days and so he had come back to be there for his daughter. He was guilty of having spent the past few months apart from her. But it was the need of the hour. He needed to get over Shifa's death. Thankfully, his daughter was understanding and held no grudge towards him. Mahrukh and Zain had decided to not find the gender out hence why Saad had brought a load of gifts suitable for a girl and a boy. Claiming that in the future they could be used when they have more kids.

Faris, Akbar's son, was the apple of his mother and aunts eye. Mahrukh adored him and spent so much time with him that at times Zain would be immensely jealous.

The past nine months were not blissful. Mahrukh had been a handful. From throwing tantrums to picking fights that were absolutely unnecessary. Clealry the family had not had any dull moment. Even now as they sat on the dinner table, Mahrukh and Zain were having a fight.
"No Zain. I do not want to eat this,"she said while turning her face away from the soup that was placed infront of her. Defeated he sighed
"But you love soups". Mahrukh glared
"So you are saying that I am a liar?" Not even waiting for a reply tears began streaming down her fluffed cheeks. She pouted and looked at her mother in law for help. Aliya shook her head and Mahrukh gasped at the utter betryal and began to slowly gulp the soup.

"Waisay Aliya mami, you guys should talk to Laraib".
Amal passed a snide remark to triger her. She was smirking as none of them knew that Fahad had done a second marriage. Laraib had been reduced to the servant of the house and she had no where to go.
"We have no relationship with her. She chose a man who could not even care for her over us. I will not forgive her," the finality in Akram's words was a sight seen rarely. But it caused goosebumps all over the body. After that the dinner table became very awkward. Heavy tension. Aliya decided to lighten up the mood.
"Saad bhai. Have a kebab"
"Yes. Yes I am".
Saad smiled at Aliya and began to chew carefully.

Zain was massaging Mahrukh's swollen feet as she tried to get comfortable in their bed. As she had neared the end of her final trimester, her life had become difficult. She would find it hard to do the most basic of movements. At night she would wake up every five minutes as the baby pressed onto her bladder causing her to rush into the bathroom. After which it would take her forty five minutes to find a comfortable position to sleep. She felt very bad as in her tossing and truning she would wake Zain up. And when she would apologise to him, he would just say
"It is the least I can do".

It was twelve am. Mahrukh was turning around in her sleep. She felt a severe pressure on her lower belly. The cramps were so hard that she almost forgot to breathe. Walking to the bathroom, a hand resting on her back, she sat on the toilet. Seeing a bit of yellow fluid and streaks of blood she realised that it was her mucus plug that broke. The baby was coming soon.

Laying in her bed, she peered at Zain who was going through some files.
"Zain"
"Hmm"
"My mucus plug broke".
"Fuck. Does that mean our baby is coming tonight?"
"I dunno the doctor said it could take even a week or two after it broke ". Sighing, Mahrukh sat up and turned her back to Zain.
"Zain could you please massage my lower back? It hurts," immediately Mahrukh felt the warmth of Zain's hand seep into her back as he began to rub slowly. Mahrukh felt relieved and rested her head on his chest. Zain kissed the top of her forehead.
"Tired?" Mahrukh hummed.
"Try to sleep okay?" She nodded her head. Zain adjusted himself in a position that he was resting against the head board and Mahrukh on his chest. He ran his hands up and down the bump. Talking to their child about how much he loved them.