28. Babies

With the beginning of June came Ramadan. In the scorching heat fasting was ten times more difficult. The constant want for water was great but the unwavering faith was greater. Under the heat, the sun reflected on the tarmac and gave the image of cooling water. A beautiful mirage. The trees stood still and only under their shade could one find relief. The men worked in their offices whilst the women prepared the food for iftari. As the time for Maghrib drew nearer, the sun started to fall and the heat started to spread making it a little cooler.

Inside the huge villa, Mahrukh and Amna were having a fight. Amna who was eight months along, was not fasting as she needed to eat for the child to be healthy. However, she refused to eat anything since everyone else could not eat. Mahrukh had been trying to convince her for the past one hour to eat.
"Amna plase zidd mat karo. I will call Akbar bhai!"
(Amna please do not act stubborn)
But Amna was a stubborn person.
"No I will not eat. That is final." Aliya who had been observing all this decided to step in.
"Leave it Mahrukh. If Amna does not want to eat anything then just give her some juice. And Amna you will have that juice okay?"
Hearing the stern ness of her voice, Amna nodded and Mahrukh went to get her Watermelon juice.

The day passed in little things and running around. During the iftaari, the table was ladden with an array of foods. Mahrukh's plate had been filled to the brim with food and she could not wait to devour it. Amna who had not had anything in the afternoon was unable to stop herself and was already munching on a seasme-honey wing, licking her fingers. The siren rang and everyone opened their fast with a date. After which they drank the staple of all Pakistani iftaaris Rooh Afza. The cool drink entered the parched throats making everyone sigh in content.

"Akbar bhai. Please tell your wife to eat food on proper time".
Mahrukh complained to Akbar as they were all playing ludo. Akbar looked over to Amna who had a look of innocence in her eyes before speaking like a little kid.
"I didn't do anything,"
Akbar sighed. His wife was having a child and was still a child.
"Amna you know that it is a sensitive time. Take care of yourself".
Amna nodded like a little child who was being scolded by their parents. She turned around and started playing the game with full interest. The elders who were sitting and talking asked Zain
"When are you giving us a good news?" Zain looked at Mahrukh who was blushing and trying her hardest to focus on her turn.
"Whenever Allah wills".
Zain's reply had Hooriya and Zainab burning and looking at their daughter in law's with a burning look.

It was time for sehri. Mahrukh had woken Zain up before she went to the kitchen to help around. Mahrukh, was eating the pre-dawn meal when she felt the first dizzy spell. She grabbed onto Zain's muscular arm to stable herself as she felt everything moving. Zain looked at her concerned.
"Mahrukh are you okay?"
She looked up to him and nodded. But Aliya who had noticed everything spoke
"Mahrukh tomorrow at iftari is Amna's baby shower. And you do not look well. You should not fast today".
Mahrukh tried to argue but once Zain had agreed with his mother, everything was set in stone.

The next morning, everyone was busy getting the decor done. The interior of the house covered in pink and blue streamers. With a long table covered in cupcakes of both the colours. Mahrukh despite feeling ill had been running around the house getting things done. In the evening when she was getting dressed, Amna came and gave her an outfit.
"Wear this so that the both of us can be twins," Mahrukh smiled at her and nodded. It was a beautiful pastel blue monochrome outfit with a pastel pink duppata. Wearing her pastel pink heels and curling her hair, she walked downstairs into the crowded living room. Next to the stairs stood a handsome Zain. Wearing a dark blue kurta and fitted trouser, he was a sight to see. He grabbed Mahrukh's hand as she reached the end of the stairs. Kissing the back of the dainty hand he pulled her close to him by the waist. Whispering "you look lovely. MashAllah" and then taking out a bundle of noted he rotated it around her head giving it to her mother asking her to give it to someone poor.