13. Ramadan & Eid Preparations

The holy month was finally here. The mood inside the house had been significantly lifted since Zain and Mahrukh's engagement. The Islambad sky was full of puffy white clouds a contrast against the bright blue hue. The sun high in the sky with it's rays reaching the surface of the Earth with full force. Trees small and short alike moved with the dull air. The atmosphere since the start of Ramadan, had been full with the spirit of love and compassion. Everyday brought with it blessings and new beginnings. But most importantly every day that passes brought the Zain and Mahrukh closer to their date of marriage.

Everyone was sleeping inside their rooms. Unlike most people who would stay up until the time of Sehri (meal taken before sunrise) the family had a tradition of sleeping and then waking up. Since no one really felt like having dinner after Iftar (meal taken before sunset) the family would sleep after the men returned from taraweeh (special prayers offered during Ramadan). The ladies would wake up an hour before to prepare the meal before heading out to wake up the men. And although most women would object over the fact that men got to sleep in and not help, the women of the Butt family felt proud for working for their husbands who worked all day even while they were observing fast.

Just like any other day, Mahrukh was woken up by her mother who gave her a silent signal to follow her downstairs and help with the Sehri. The young girl just nodded her head and grabbed a scarf to wrap around herself. Rushing down the stairs taking two at a time, she entered the kitchen with full enthusiasm. Grabbing a few eggs, she cracked them open in a bowl and added a few spices as well as a little amount of spring onions and bell peppers. In another pan she heated thinly sliced turkey meat before eventually bringing it all together in a giant sandwich. Adding some mayonnaise and bbq sauce for extra flavour. She made two more of the same sandwiches, and then her mother gave her the duty of making frehly squeezed apple juice. Adding the sliced apple into the juicer Mahrukh made a huge jug of apple juice and added a dozen ice cubes and placed it into the fridge.
"Mahrukh be a darling and please go wake up Zain,"
Aliya asked her daughter in law to be only to see her cheeks covered in red. Shyly nodding her head Mahrukh went up the stairs and knocked on his door.
"Z-Zain b- mera matlab Zain wake up. Its time for Sehri,"
(Zain b- I mean Zain)
she said and only left when he gave her a reply. Then running to her father's room she shook him hard.
"BABA uthain Sehri ka time nikal gaya,"
(Baba wakeup the time for Sehri has gone)
she spoke with a grin on her face. Saad woke up and looked around franticly and calmed visibly seeing the clock.
"Badmash,"
(Naughty)
he slapped her on her head before going inside his washroom. Mahrukh went downstairs and helped set the table.

When finally everyone had sat down on the table, the family began eating silently. Clearly no one liked being spoken to whilst they were doing their Sehri. Akbar continuously annoyed Mahrukh by calling her and asking her to do something in a sickly sweet tone.
"Are bahbi give me water,"
(Oh Bhabhi) 
"Bhabhi please pass me the sandwich,"
"Bhabhi--"  having lost her patience Mahrukh spoke
"Akbar bhai please ask your wife!"
Little did she know that sentence would ruin her life. For the next time Zain asked his mother  for something Akbar spoke in a cheery voice
"Zain bhai please ask your wife!"
This caused Zain to cough and Mahrukh to blush. Aliya slapped Akbar on the head and said
"Stop making fun of my daughter!" Acting like he had been stabbed he grabbed his chest in a painful manner before shrieking
"Betrayal!"
Causing all to chuckle at his antics.

○~○

The next day, all the men left their home silently as the women slept. They would as usual wake up pray Zuhur and then sleep till Asr again. It was a routine not a great one but it is what it is. In the scorching heat, water from the body evaporated at a fast rate causing the men to feel dehydrated halfway into their working day. Zain and Akbar had sent their father and uncle home early and remained in the office until thirty minutes before Maghrib. They were in and out of meetings all day long causing them to feel dead tired. As soon as tge meeting ended, Zain forced Akbar to leave early. Heading out together, Zain sat in the driver seat and drove to the shopping centre. He wanted to gift Mahrukh and outfit for Eid. And had brought Akbar with him to give advice. They had walked nearly the entire center before Zain found something that would look absolutely perfect on his Mahrukh. Instantly purchasing it, the duo headed to their home as the time of iftar was approaching.