20. A day in the life of Mahrukh

The February morning, came with a sunny morning. The birds danced with the gentle breeze. Subtle scents of the beginning of spring could be smelt. The curtains caused the rooms to remain in a deep warmth a stark contrast to the chilly outside. Despite the bright sunny morning, the roads were covered by a blanket of fog, a constant for the Pakistani winters one must say without facing much disgareement from people. The fern trees littered around the Margalla hills, wooshed around with the air and people walked around the hiking track, covered in their thick winter outfits.

Mahrukh's day began at seven am. She woke up at seven and spent fifteen minutes snoozing her alarm. And then spending another fifteen minutes gazing at the calm face of Zain. The past few days in the business world had been brutal for him. He was so busy with work that the only time she ever got to see him was in the mornings. But that was not what she was worried for. Instead, she was worried for his health. She could not ignore the dark circles that were gaining weight under his eyes above his cheekbones. A sigh left her lips as she caressed his face leaving small barely there kisses on his eyelids. Slipping out of the bed she headed into the closet.

Since it was winter time, Mahrukh would take a bath at night before sleeping and then just washing her face and brushing her teeth in the morning.

Deciding on a sky blue raw silk shirt with silver mirror work on it and white cigarette trousers with silver embroidery at the end. The duppata was made of organza and the same shade as the shirt with silver gottapati. Curling her hair into loose beachwaves, and her mun dikhai bracelet in her hands she headed out of the room.

Making way downstairs silently with her feet clad in ivory- khusas, Mahrukh reached the kicthen

Making way downstairs silently with her feet clad in ivory- khusas, Mahrukh reached the kicthen. The large place was empty since everyone else woke up later than her. Already getting started on Zain's breakfast, she prepared a huge array of foods. On a huge plate she placed scrambled eggs with a slice of buttered toast. Then some waffles (loaded with chocolate chips) and cut up cherry tomatoes she placed the plate into a tray. Keeping a mug of coffee and freshly squeezed orange juice made from oranges that had been plucked from the backyard yesterday, she headed upstairs.

"Zain wakeup".
Mahrukh shouted at him while continuing to shake his body. Five minutes into calling his name and shaking his body, when she saw no response, she decided to use her last resort.
"Theek hai. I am bringing cold water to throw on you".
(Alright)
Zain who had been up all this time and was teasing Mahrukh, immediately sat up. Cold water and winters did not sit right with him.
"Arey jan. I am up".
(Oh my life)
he looked at his wife who was standing with his arms crossed over her chest. Sitting next to him Mahrukh began speaking
"Zain get in the closet and change your outfit. Then have your breakfast," nodding his head like an obedient husband he ran in the closet, where Mahrukh had already placed his outfit on the island. A blue formal shirt with black slacks and a black coat on top. Changing into his outfit, he wore his formal shoes and came out.

While he was dressing up, Mahrukh had managed to clean their room and set everything the way it was supposed to be. Zain grabbed his tray of food and sat on the sofa. Grabbing Mahrukh's hand he made her sit infront of him and spoke
"Feed me".
Seeing his face Mahrukh laughed, before grabbing the plate. She fed him tiny morsels but in between Zain would feed her aswell. Zain hated that she did not eat breakfast with him so he would make her eat a few bites from his plate. When they were done, Mahrukh walked downstairs with him to the main door.
"AllahHafiz,"
murmured Mahrukh on his chest, the sound was muffled as she was wrapped between Zain's large arms.