1 : setting sun

It was getting late.

The sun setting.

The moon rising.

A crimson hue stretching across the horizon is the sun settled above it.

I was sitting on the hotel bed, scrolling through the next song to play as I read something on my phone. 

"We need to get to this city though." My dad and his girlfriend muttered amongst themselves, holding a paper map between them.

"We'll have to go this way-"

"Yes, but that way would take longer. We need to be at the hotel at 4pm tomorrow."

They were bickering. Arguing calmly at how dad wanted to go around this stingy abandoned town is the best option but mum wasnt having it.

"Do you know how many people have gone missing in that place I dont want to go near it." Amanda said sternly.

"Well, it's either we go around Silent Hill or arrive two hours later and pay extra for being late." My dad protested.

They argued back and forth about which way they were gonna go.

Dad wanted to get there on time so he would miss the room escort and have to pay extra but Amanda heard a couple of bad rumours and had become paranoid.

She had gone on about these as soon as we came to America, "Silent Hill this" "Silent Hill that" "Did you hear that this happened to so and so in Silent Hill?"

I can't stand this noise anymore.

I stood up, cautiously, making my way towards the door. I remember seeing a park conveniently next to the hotel we were staying in.

"I'm just gonna have a walk." I said softly, as I exited the room.

"Yeah," the tall woman said, she looked at me and nodded slowly, "okay honey, stay close to the hotel. Okay?" She said, exhausted.

"Okay." I said as I headed out the door.

I looked behind my shoulder, my mother giving a weak smile as I exited.

I put my phone in the back pocket of my jeans. The white headphone wire bouncing slightly with each step.

The hallway was lit in white lights and the walls were painted a mellow, neutralized grey pink.

I walked down the hallway.

Tap tap tap

Footsteps?

Probably someone coming out of their room.

Tap tap tap tap

Even through my headphone I could hear them. I paused the song.

My heart started pounding, my mouth running dry. For some reason I felt scared, no terrified for my life. There was something that was watching me, stalking me.

I mustered up enough courage and took a quick look behind me. Looking out of the corner of my eye.

Nothing.

No one.

"What?" I muttered to myself under my breath, I looked at the human shaped footprints indented into the cream coloured carpet.

I turned around fully, my whole body visable to the end of the corridor. I furrowed my brows. Feeling unnerved as the silence settled.

I paced backwards a few steps. The sound of my quiet quivering breath only audible to myself.

I reluctantly turned my back.

I walked to the elevator. My pace quickening. I looked behind myself every few seconds, to see if someone was really there - playing a sick joke.

I pressed the button.

I waited patiently.

The silence was excruciating.

My gaze was fixed to the floor. Eyes wide and pupils a pinpoint.

I felt terrified, I could feel the adrenaline in my legs urging me to run.

It felt like something was watching me.

I felt my leg impatiently twitch.

SLAM SLAM SLAM SLAM

I forgot the elevator. I started running down the stairs. I jumped most of the steps. The thudding behind me as I spiraled down.

The adrenaline fueling my veins went into just running but not knowing what from.

I didnt care at this point. I was running from something that possibly wanted to hurt me. Or worse if it was running at such full speed.

I could feel my blue unbuttoned shirt coming out of my Jean's of which I neatly tucked them in, my shirt becoming exposed.

My throat felt dry. I could only hear the thudding behind me and the slamming of my own feet.

Running down five flights of stairs felt like a second. Before I knew it I was in the lobby. People watched me with a suprised stare as I ran out the front door for my life. I pushed so against the glass door that I feared I might shatter it. As I did so I turned back. A gust of wind ran right through me, it shook my clothes and left goosebumps all up my thin arms. My hair was a mess, thick clumps and stands of hair had come loose from the bun I tied up earlier that day. I tucked it behind my ear as I caught my breath. I wiped my partially teary eyes and saw that nothing had followed me out of the building. I only saw the judgemental eyes of the staff and the wandering stare of the people checking in.

I backed up and looked down embarrassed, my cheeks heating up.

I walked off quickly. Trying to avoid any other that could have possibly seen the incident.

My breath was uneven as I walked away from the hotel.

//

"Mum, I need to tell you something"

"What is it Sonnie?" My mother said, exasperated already just by listening to me.

"I- I havent been feeling well lately."  I said looking down avoiding her gaze.

"Like how?!" She exclaimed, the tone in her voice becoming harsh.

"Well, it's just I havent been very happy like I usually feel. It's fine let me just talk to dad your busy, dont worry about it." I tried to end the conversation quickly.

"Its because your in the fucking room all the time! Get out of this place, your not going to get better unless you help yourself. If anything you're the one who is responsible for how you think so if you  feel upset the fucking come downstairs and talk." She spoke as I continued looking down at my hands, tears streaked down my face as she left me in my room. Alone. With only myself .

She doesn't help. Only makes things worse.

Worse.

Worse.

Worse.

That's why I hate her.

//

18:05
Tuesday 17 December 2019